Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by LdyDDS

Member Name: LdyDDS
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Auckland
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
See More About: Celebrity Solstice Cruise Reviews | Australia & New Zealand Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

LOVED the Solstice

What a difference a ship and crew makes!!!! Last December I took my first Celebrity cruise on the Millennium to SE Asia. That was my 9th cruise but first on Celebrity. The ship was falling apart and dirty, the crew unfriendly and disorganized, the food not good but... the VERY friendly and nice cruisers I met through Cruisecritic (most of them were past Celebrity customers) convinced me to give Celebrity one more try but on a Solstice class ship.

My husband and I had a wonderful time on this cruise and the ship couldn't have been nicer. The crew as friendly, helpful, organized and the food was good (only 2 subpar meals). The ship was extremely clean and in good repair except for the Martini Bar which does not have the frost on it. We chose Aqua Class and really liked it...we will do it again. Mostly we ate in the restaurant assigned to us which was Blu but on 3 evenings we chose to eat in the main dining room due to the menu choices. We received excellent service in the main dining room just as we did in Blue. I also ate a few lunches at the Aqua Spa Café (open to all cruisers not just those in Aqua Class) which I really liked. We only ate 2 lunches and 2 or 3 breakfasts at the buffet which is crowded and hard to find a table but most people were pretty friendly and let me share a table with them.

Tendering to shore was very organized...we had no problems. The ship docked and left ports on time. The entertainment was OK. The guitarist, Mario D'Andrea (I think) was very entertaining but we saw him on the cruise last year and he performed the EXACT same show both nights.....really there are a lot of repeat cruisers so I think the entertainers should change their list of songs at least once a year. The Painist was very good, juggler OK, magicians OK...etc. There was live music and dancing every night in the atrium but it was pretty much the same every night.

The Naturalist/Scientist Milos was EXCELLENT....loved his lectures and commentary. The other lecturer who was a PhD in history I think was really dull.....tried to sit through her lectures 3 different times but just couldn't do it. I also went to 4 lectures/hands on classes with the iphone/ipad guy......very helpful for me who is a newbie to the whole "i" thing.

We only went on one ship tour, which was a fine tour. The other tours I booked myself via the internet from recommendations on cruisecritic .

We loved Aqua Class (it is the closest thing to the service we received on an Azamara cruise) and would do it again.

Publication Date: 01/05/14