Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by wshaw859: Oasis of the Seas - Food Danger, cabin heat, lumpy bed and oversold

wshaw859
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Oasis of the Seas - Food Danger, cabin heat, lumpy bed and oversold

Sail Date: December 2013

This was my first cruise. Ever. I have read so many "happy reviews" by people who seem clueless about what the term "critic" actually means. Worse still, look at how many of these folks love to list every single cruise they have taken. Some must think they are some sort of "Cruise Admiral" in their own mind - wearing every cruise "badge" as some sort of medal. The term "critic" rarely seems to occur to them.

So I'll skip most of the happy talk and just get to some REAL issues experienced during my Dec 14-21, 2013 cruise on the Oasis of the Seas. I was in stateroom 12594 with my best buds and we were celebrating the years it took for one of my mates to get his VA disability benefits for a serious brain injury incurred during his service to America. This trip was for him and he deserved better. We deserved better.

HIDDEN DANGER IN THE FOOD

We were eating a white cake dessert in the Park Cafe when I discovered something in the cake. It looked smaller than an More eyelash and was obviously baked into the cake. I teased it out with my fork and when I tried to pick it out, it went straight into my finger, causing bleeding when I removed it. I took it straight to the restaurant "officer" to report this dangerous small piece of metal shrapnel. Having eaten 2/3 of the cake, I was scared that I may have ingested one or more extremely sharp shards of metal such as this. When the restaurant officer also got stuck, he realized that small dangerous shards of metal could be in the food. He was very concerned and asked if I was OK. Yes, I replied - but I was scared. I am still dealing with my medical clinic over this issue since returning home.

GUEST SERVICES AND MEDICAL ON BOARD IS A JOKE

I reported the possible ingestion of sharp metal fragment(s) to Guest Services, who simply told me to call Medical. Since this was in the food, I asked if medical would charge me for the cost of the consult. They said that Medical could answer that and that I call the Nurse of Duty.

MEDICAL

I went to the Medical Department and they were closed until 4 PM. I returned to my stateroom and called the Nurse on Duty. She was Chinese and after explaining the situation I expressed my concern regarding the dangers of ingesting sharp metal objects from the Park Cafe dessert. She said she would speak with the doctor and call me back. About 2 hours later she called with the question "how you feeling?". I felt OK, but I didn't know how long that would last if I had ingested sharp metal object(s) that could perforate the digestive system. Clearly, the onboard medical help wasn't much help at all. And, by the way, when you read your "ticket contract", you might want to pay attention to the language that disclaims any malpractice of the onboard medical folks by the cruise line. Given my experience, I wonder if these "medical" folks are as qualified as Royal Caribbean claims - I seriously doubt it.

GUEST SERVICES

Lots of friendly people who don't speak English as a first language. They spent lots of time looking down and typing into their computer yet couldn't "find" the incentives offered by our travel agent for this trip. We spent time every single day at Guest Services. One issue was NOT properly resolved: we were promised a bottle of champagne in our stateroom but Guest Services denied it. I had to call the travel agent while at sea through their "courtesy phone" (which they dial). When Guest Services finally received the approval on their computer, it was the last day of the cruise. I asked them to deliver it to our cabin late in the morning and they REFUSED! They insisted on delivering the champagne "Tonight". We were getting ready for bed between 8-9 PM the champagne arrived. We told them to keep it - we needed to get up early the next morning to disembark.

THE HAPPY NEWS

The Ice Skating show was great. Dive show great. Hairspray blah-boring. Casino was smoke-filled, even at off-times when there were no smokers around. The food in the Main Dining Room was meager, minuscule and often mediocre. The Chops Grille was the BEST FILET MIGNON ever. The food servers were all outstanding. The Windjammer buffet restaurant food was just OK - it was overcrowded at times as there were not enough tables available for a cruise of 6,000 passengers. The best food in the Windjammer was on Friday night - the Mahi Mahi Tempura was outstanding. Except for metal shrapnel in the dessert, the Park Cafe was excellent for Cuban and roast beef sandwiches as well as vegetarian quesadillas. The Wipeout Cafe "omelets to order" were just OK - they simply have a checklist of ingredients and didn't know what a Spanish Omelette was. They also lost track of our omelette orders and served them to the wrong passengers. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas 12594

There is NO way three people belong in this "stateroom". The A/C would seem OK during the day, but at night I would frequently wake up sweating as the cabin would be over 80 degrees (F). I measured it with my weather watch. The balcony door was closed and locked during these times. My stateroom attendant advised me to call "Engineering", which I did - to no avail. Interestingly, the room would cool down to 74 degrees around 9 am.BED HAD MORE WAVES THAN THE OCEANThe third pull-out bed for this stateroom was horrible, causing painful muscle spasms in my back from an old back injury. There was nothing the stateroom attendant could do about this. The other beds were a bit more comfortable but needed an egg crate foam cushion.CLOSE YOUR CURTAINS If your neighboring cabin curtains are open at night, you can see into their cabin as the balcony plexiglass turns into a reflective mirror of sorts. They can also see into your cabin.

Beach Break

(1)

ST MAARTIN ROYAL CARIBBEAN EXCURSION "BEACH SENSATION" WAS HORRIBLE
Royal Caribbean admits in their ticket contract that they have nothing to do with the excursion companies they use as "independent contractors" to handle their passenger activities. Except that they collect the money.

This was obvious from the start when we found our excursion was OVERSOLD, which forced us to ride in small UNCOMFORTABLE pull-out seats in what I would describe as a "chicken bus". If you've been in Latin America, you'll know what I mean by "chicken bus". Of the other 7 cruise ships in port at the same time, Royal Caribbean's Beach Sensation excursion was conducted in the smallest, nastiest bus when compared to the larger, nice buses used by the other cruise lines. Speaking of nasty, I reported verbal abuse to Royal Caribbean's Excursion Desk (in front of Sorrento's restaurant on the ship). The woman who took our tickets and then lost our group on the way to the bus. She had stopped holding up the sign halfway through the long walk to the "bus" and lost us in the sea of at least 4 cruise ships unloading at the same time. She never stopped to regroup. It took us about 15 minutes to locate our "bus" at which time the tall man also became verbally abusive to my party of three.

Riding this bus to Marigot was awful. We got dumped off the Bus from Hell in Marigot for 1.5 hours of shopping. At one point at the edge of the shopping tents I was alone when a man approached me and asked "would you like a young girl?". I looked over and saw what looked like marijuana cigarettes on the table next to him. The situation obviously looked like a police sting or some sort of extortion scheme. I just walked away and rejoined my friends nearby. Be warned.

Back on the Royal Caribbean Chicken Bus, we were off to Orient Beach for 3-4 hours of beach time which included "lunch". The "lunch" was horrible - nasty chicken and some sort of ribs (goat?) with huge piles of mashed potatoes and rice. YUCK! Best of all: the beer was cheap.

On the beach, we went swimming and generally enjoying the beach when the Wicked Witch from Hell suddenly reappeared right in front of our lounge chairs. She began waving her arms and screaming at us in front of other folks on the excursion. She was upset that we got separated from the group by yelling "WHERE WERE YOU?" I replied to her "where were you? … why didn't you stop and regroup? why did you stop holding up the sign?" My 2 friends with me agreed and she stormed off the beach, not to be seen again.

We advised Royal Caribbean's excursion rep that we didn't appreciate (1) being abused and insulted in front of other passengers and (2) the excursion had been oversold given the poor condition and discomfort of the "chicken bus" and (3) the "lunch" was inedible.

What did Royal Caribbean do for us? They refunded $15.80 of the $79.00 paid per person.

Magen Bay Beach

(5)

Overall, the Sonny Liston shopping-beach tour was good. With caveats. They picked us up on time and got us back to the boat on time. The Magen's Bay Beach was chosen by the driver and the charge of $4 per person was required. We could have gone to Sapphire Beach, but Elvis (the driver) said it was too rough as it was on the Atlantic. I didn't like Magen Bay Beach - there was trash everywhere, the public facilities nasty, it was crowded and there were no waves. The driver picked us up at the right time but then took us on a long ride to the other side of the island because he needed to "find one guy". This became annoying as the delay took us back to the ship as darkness began and the driving was, at times, quite scary.