Having been on the identical cruise two years ago we were really looking forward to it. So much so we invited another couple to join us.
On the plus side:
- the embarkation seemed to be much better organised than the scrum of two years ago;
- the acoustics in our cabin was much better than before but this was probably just luck.
On the negative:
- total disorganisation in the main bar area; single barman completely overran; waiters queuing to get served and many many disgruntled customers;
- warm cocktails and house white wine so disgusting you could not drink it;
- food in the main restaurant poor quality and haphazard service; the British cold meat served as a starter was a total joke and insult to patrons;
- house white wine looks of reputable quality (Spanish) but in my opinion it is off and has been stored incorrectly - yellow in the glass; the red house is 11% abv and extremely mediocre. One night I bought the Montepulciano and this was corked - the wine waiter had no idea what I was on about.
- generally the staff seemed lack any sort of teamwork; surly to each other!
- the lifeboat drill was nothing like as detailed as with the previous Russian Captain.
We will not go back on the Marco Polo. Principal reason is the thought of going on a longer cruise with such terrible wine and poor food.