Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by Canoe6me: Lots of plusses, few minuses

Canoe6me
Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Sapphire Princess South Pacific Cruises

Lots of plusses, few minuses

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: South Pacific
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I have sailed on three of the Princess ships now and the Sapphire is the largest so far.

My stateroom was in the front quarter of the ship and the dinning room was at the stern so I had to walk three footballs in length to get to supper! And you can't get there from here either. It turned out that the best way to get there was go walk the length of the ship to the aft elevators to get down to the proper deck. You are unable to get there from any of the decks in the middle of the ship.

And the first seating is at 5:30 PM. I like to eat early due to acid reflux, but that was a little too early.

Then, from the main dining room, it is quite a hike to the bow of the ship and the theater for the evening's show. Aw well. Exercise after dinner is probably good. I knew it is a big ship, I just didn't realize how big it really is.

There are lots of good things about the Sapphire Princess though. For one, the promenade deck goes all the way around the ship. More Nice. And passengers can get to virtually everywhere on the far upper decks too. That was really nice as we entered, and left, exotic island ports, especially being able to get on top of the bridge!

Some of the dining room menus were not as interesting as they were on the other Princess ships I have cruised on. But the other venues well made up for those few days. Sabatini's was wonderful as always. The Sterling Steakhouse is actually a section of the Horizon Court that is divided off in the evenings so the ambiance was lacking a little. But the service and food there was definitely up to par with the other ships. Alfredo's Pizzeria, in the atrium has caused me to decide to never again partake of the pizza on the pool deck. And the cafe in the atrium, with all the little hot sandwiches and great deserts proved to be a great place for a light lunch. There was absolutely no problem finding too much good food on that ship!

And they managed to always have something interesting going on. Maybe too much. You just can't take it all in. We had 8 sea days getting back from Tahiti to LA and it went by like it was only a couple of days! Less

Read more Sapphire Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Sapphire Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Sapphire Princess D322

My first Princess cruise was in a regular balcony room for 14 days. It got a little bit crowded by the end of that trip. And let's don't even discuss those tiny little RV sized bathrooms. My next trip was 23 days and I booked a mini suite. Now that is the way to go for sure. It's well worth the extra cost for the larger room and a full sized bath room. I did the same thing on this 28 day trip and never once felt cramped for space.No matter what length cruise I will take in the future, my stateroom will always have a balcony!