Celebrity Equinox Cruise Review by Lukehead: Relaxed, bucket list experience

Pisa check

Venice check

Dubrovnik check

Pompeii check

Plus many other good stops. Great on-board service. Enough activities to keep us as busy as we wanted to be.

We are relatively new to cruising (our first was in March 2011) but considering we are now prepping for our 6th and 7th, I guess you might surmise we enjoy it.

Celebrity handled embarkation and disembarkation very smoothly. On quickly, to a relaxed (read uncrowded) lunch in the 14th deck buffet and very soon to or cabin. Met by our cabin assistant steward who assisted moving our luggage inside. Champagne and fruit waiting for us..

A sail-away party organized through CC Roll Call postings let us meet some of our fellow sail mates early and allowed for some table adjustments, easily and quickly handled by the maitre 'd. Ended up with a very compatible table of six for the late seating in the main dining room.

Entertainment (stage shows) OK, not wowser. But More we always went so they weren't rough enough to keep us away. Pop-up entertainment OK - not exciting enough to make us want to specifically go and see.

Food service very good. We did buy the specialty restaurant package to try all three. Murano - excellent; Tuscan Grill - excellent; Silk Harvest - very good. I know many people love Silk Harvest - we enjoyed but just not as special as the other two. It may relate to the service. While it was good, it was not as attentive as Murano or Tuscan. All worth the additional cost, especially with the package pricing. Main dining room menus were a nice variety and our meals were always well presented minus one which was quickly replaced Food quality very good. Special kudos to our waiter and the maitre 'd and the chef. I have always enjoyed the peanut butter cookies in the buffet at lunch. This cruise there were none. One night our waiter, Sahnde, asked if there was anything we would like to see/have fordinner. I mentioned my missing cookies. He said he would ask about them. The next night the maitre 'd and the chef came to the table and asked how things were. I again mentioned my missing cookies. The maitre 'd replied they were to be a surprise the next night. And they were - one dozen fresh cookies delivered to the table with our ordered desserts, enough for two for each of us. And then on the last night a platter of 20 cookies was delivered with the wrappings to take the excess home. Good job Celebrity.

There was a strong presence of major crew members everywhere on the ship. And they were friendly,acknowledging, looked you in the eye, something we had experienced on all prior Celebrity cruises except the Solstice in Australia. Nice to see it again. Actually all crew members from Captain to mechanics were very friendly, always smiling.

Excursions were generally handled well. There was one less than perfect experience in a port where we were tendered. The prime problem was that people didn't listen to instructions and got into a wrong line. The crew handled the rude ones much better than they deserved.

A Cabin Crawl was also organized through CC - very good idea. It helped to see the differences in what your money buys - and to figure out if it's worth it/appropriate for you.

The only thing we can think of that could have been improved on was not the fault of Celebrity. Generally the weather was outstanding - unseasonably warm and sunny for the time of year but fog in Venice meant we couldn't arrive as scheduled, therefore cancelling any late afternoon excursion. Fortunately we could redo ours for the following day but I'm sure there were some that could not be changed. Celebrity was quick with the information and the credits but it was a disappointment. In any case, I would have liked an additional day in Venice. Even if all had gone as planned, the extra time would have been good.

All-in-all - we do recommend this itinerary. Kotor was a happy surprise, Dubrovnik was beautiful (and has the best gelato), Pompeii was great - weather helped; fun to see Monte Carlo Casino and compare to Las Vegas, you do need to see Pisa in the real. Less

Read more Celebrity Equinox cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Equinox Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Equinox 9261

Cabin snug but comfortable. The more we cruise, the better we learn to use the space. A tad more drawer space would be nice. I have to say I like the cabin layout of the Summit better - closet size/location, closed storage in the bed-side stands. We do not over-pack and find storage tight, I wonder how those with multiple pieces of luggage do it - maybe they just get a larger stateroom.Cabin maintenance excellent; cabin attendants excellent.