Jewel of the Seas Cruise Review by jcv92121

Jewel of the Seas
Member Name: jcv92121
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
See More About: Jewel of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Good value

I've been on many cruises so am becoming a bit jaded and picky maybe. You have to keep that in mind when reading my comments. If you are on your first cruise, which most people were on this ship, you might find the person had a much different experience.

Starting with the good...

Food: Great variety and fresh selection. I wish there were more berries. I stopped going to formal dining many cruises ago so can't speak for that.

Entertainment: The ship's band, which had something like 2 trumpet, one trombone, 2 guitar, one drummer, likely a sax player or two and a keyboardist was fantastic. They also had a good singer impressionist and an average comedian. I'll address improvements in the "areas for improvement section".

Ports: Pretty good selection.

Excursions: We did our own thing. The excursions were expensive for what they provided and much of the same fun could be had for less on your own.

Other: housekeeping was good, the ship was in reasonable condition

Now for the areas for improvement ...

On board credit prematurely shut down. We had on board credit. They shut it off the night prior and it was a nightmare dealing with guest services to show them where it said that our on board credit was to remain open as long as we were sailing, despite any "policy" they had the contradicted this. It seemed unusual that the lady in charge of guest services would argue with us on this point for so long when we had it written in black and white.

Internet: So slow it was useless. At 75 cents a minute, it better be zippy. Instead, it had errors, was slow, was unbearable. I went onshore to use internet and paid around $1-$1.50 every 15 minutes for speedy internet access.

TV: No TV for two days. This was the first time I didn't bring my own DVDs. I'm usually exhausted at the end of the day and want to relax with news, a TV show or a movie, so this was disappointing. Also, when it was working, there were very few channels to choose from.

Workout facility: There were TVs in the workout rooms but you couldn't hear any of them. There was no opportunity to plug into a certain station like in workout gyms, no closed captioning, and no individual TVs on each workout machine. I think even Carnival has TVs on each workout machine.

Music: OLD. I'm 48 and the music seemed to cater to 70+ crowd. While the onboard symphony band was great, and the Caribbean band ok, everyone else was kind of bad and played old stuff.

All in all, for the price, it was a good time and a good deal.

The cruise experience is becoming dated and needs to get ready for us young 40-50 crowd that are addicted to good recent music, like fast and free Wi-Fi, must have copious TV channels with a long movie list available and TV attached to each workout machine, and generally are more casual than the previous generation. Formal dining is a bore once you have done a few cruises.

The first cruise line to cater to this type of experience will win.

Publication Date: 12/31/13