Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by akleinga: Great trip on NCL Sun

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sun Southern Caribbean Cruises

Great trip on NCL Sun

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Southern Caribbean

My wife and I were on the 11 day Southern Caribbean Sun in December and were pleasantly surprised after a bad experience on the Epic. This was our 7th trip with NCL and the staff on the Sun was the best we have ever seen. We have been on over 30 cruises and prefer those that are > 7 days.

The ship is older and smaller than others, but it has been redone in the past few years and the crew is always working and cleaning to keep it in good shape. I can count one 1 hand how many times we past a member of the Crew and they did NOT acknowledge us. Almost every time it was a hello, how are you, enjoy your day, etc. I cannot remember how often that even happened on the Epic, it is almost as if they 2 sets of crew were trained totally differently. So the staff on the Sun were great, best NCL crew we have ever seen. All the staff we had in the Four Seasons were always attentive and efficient. After having Jennifer Alfante in the MDR, we asked for her on the other nights we ate More there. We did eat at 2 specialty restaurants, East meets West steakhouse and Moderno. Both were very good, Moderno was a little different than other NCL ships, sometime they brought the cuts of meat to your table and sometimes they just asked you how you like your meat done and brought single pieces of some cute. That seemed odd since part of the experience is the presentation.

The weather was windy and the ship was rocky the first few days at sea. It also took the captain extra time to get into port on a few occasions, at Aruba we got off the ship about an hour late, and with us leaving at the same time, it gave us a very short time in Aruba.

My wife and I enjoyed the Great Outdoors at the rear of the ship for breakfast every morning, it was less crowded than other places. Since it was only the 2 of us, we never had to wait more than a couple minutes for a table in any of the dining rooms.

Cabin - We had booked an oceanview 8204 cabins and the cabin was big and had plenty of storage space. In our cabin there was a picture window(not porthole) and full size sofa that pulled out to a bed. It was a sitting area so you did not have to always be on the bed. Our cabin steward Rocque was the one of the best we have had on any of our cruises on any ships.

A problem for us was that there is only one outlet in the cabin so you should bring a multi-plug extension cord if you have multiple things to plug in.

Food – On the sea days there was a pool bbq that we ate at almost all the time. In fact, we never had trouble finding something to eat. The food was good, not great, in the MDR the food always came out at the right temperature. The food in the sports bar was barely OK, I was hoping for something better, we waited and went to dinner there on the 3rd night and were disappointed. We did like the tapas available in Las Ramblas and had that on a few occasions when we ate dinner late.

Every morning I went to the fitness center and never had an issue getting a machine, and I followed that with a shower and Sauna in the Spa which was nice since some of the newer ships make you pay to use the sauna.

Casino – It is a lot smaller than on other ships, but well attended by the passengers and when I wa in there the casino staff in general were just as good as the rest of the ship.

Itinerary – was very good, being 11 days were are able to go pretty far south and that was enjoyable. Less

Read more Norwegian Sun cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sun Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Sun 8204

Large stateroom, nice layout, we were on the front of the ship and there was exterior noise when the anchor was dropped in the morning we tendred in