Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by lhenshaw: Celebrity Reflection - Review

Celebrity Reflection - Review

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)

Overall I found the Celebrity Reflection a very nice ship - modern, clean with a lovely, soft-toned décor.

With regard to the food, I enjoyed the variety and freshness of the food in the buffet. The times we ate in the dining room I was less than impressed - each meal I had was so-so, nothing to write home about. (However, as anytime diners we never waited long to get seats in the dining room which was good.) Consequently, my preference for a lot of meals was actually the buffet - fresher and more variety as I have said. We didn't try any of the specialty restaurants. I found the coffee everywhere onboard terrible!!

There was plenty to do onboard. We played trivia a few times and enjoyed it but thought that more effort could have been made to organize groups of six - sometimes people are reticent to go up to strangers themselves and ask to be part of a group so maybe staff could help coordinate this a little more (if some folks don't want to be part of a group More they could just say so and remain apart but I think it's more fun to be part of a group.) I have been on other cruises where miniature golf is offered and I missed not having that option on this cruise. There is so much grass on the Reflection you would think some of it could be used for a small golf course - it gets people socializing and is a lot of fun.

As mentioned above, I think there is actually too much space allotted to grass on the Reflection which could be used for other activities (e.g. miniature golf, etc.). Also I could not understand why so much space is allotted to a basketball court - it was hardly used on the cruise as far as I could see (I am a walker and passed by it several times each day). I would say the average age on our cruise was 60 years and older - hardly the demographic that plays basketball! Again, a wasted use of space as far as I could determine.

I was bothered quite often in certain areas of the ship by cigarette smoking. I do not think it should be allowed at all on any ship for safety reasons let alone in as many areas as it was permitted on the Reflection - I am sure not every smoker onboard is totally responsible and the possibility of a cigarette starting a fire is a real possibility - for this reason plus the offensive smell I think it should be completely banned.

One thing I found strange in the buffet was the cutlery which was wrapped in dark blue napkins - it consisted of a knife and fork of normal size plus a huge spoon. Why not a normal sized spoon that can be used for stirring coffee, eating desserts such as ice cream and so on. This was a small thing but something I found very peculiar. Every day I had to look for a smaller sized spoon to aid with eating my meals. The only thing a large spoon is really good for is eating soup so it would be good if a smaller spoon could be included in the blue napkin cutlery.

As mentioned in my first paragraph, overall I really enjoyed the ship, especially the spaciousness - never overcrowded in the elevators, always fairly easy to find a lounge chair on deck in a good area. I also found the staff very courteous, pleasant and hard working. If the negative points I have outlined above could be improved upon,8121 I wouldn't have had much to complain about.

Thanks for a lovely cruise! Less

Read more Celebrity Reflection cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Reflection Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Reflection 8121

Very nice cabin - well laid out, spacious, nice décor.