Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by emilyanna

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Reflection Cruise Review by emilyanna
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Reflection
Member Name: emilyanna
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Rome (Civitavecchia)
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
See More About: Celebrity Reflection Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

I was disappointed in the Ship

Our cruise started and ended in Rome and sailed to Sicily, Athens, Turkey (Kusadasi), Rhodes, Santorini, Mykonos, and Naples. We also had 2 days at sea. The ports of call were wonderful--we stayed all day at most of them, so had time to do full day tours. So the cruise itself was great.

However, I was very disappointed in the ship. I had heard so much about the Solstice ships, I was looking forward to it. We also booked a higher end room, because I had had such a good experience on the Celebrity Century the year before, so wanted to share the experience with my husband. As it turned out, we could have booked one of the less expensive rooms and received mostly the same service as we got on the Reflection.

My two main complaints are (1) that the place to dance is in the grand foyer. Small dance floor, no place to sit. A few chairs near the floor and in the bar that flanks it. Anyone else would have to stand or sit on the floor. This was true of the "games" too. If they were held in the grand foyer, to watch them, we would have to stand along the edges overlooking the grand foyer. Anyone wanting to sit had to get there hours ahead of time. Some of the games were held in small seating areas instead of a place where we could sit and watch. (2) The forward observation lounge was mostly reserved for the "special" people who had the really high end rooms or who cruised with them all the time. I tried to sit in this lounge several times--it was empty, but I couldn't sit there because I wasn't "special" enough. The 2nd day at sea it was reserved for the art auction! Empty most of the day because they had the art in there and then the auction later in the afternoon. On the former cruise, we were able to sit in the lounge and watch where we were going and read comfortably, but not on this one.

The shows and the performances were exceptional--very professional worthy of Broadway. The food was good and the service was wonderful. I thought the food in the buffet cafe was excellent and the variety was great. It was amazing what they could do trying to serve so many people. We had the seating where we could reserve a time to eat and be seated at that time. My only complaint here was on the last night. The hostess seated us at a table with a window for the first time because we were a little earlier than usual. Evidently, the head waiter in that section liked to reserve that table for some "special" guests and he actually tried to get the hostess to move us. Since she wouldn't do it, he wouldn't wait on us. He had his assistant wait on us. Really bummed me out.

First time on any cruise that I felt that I wasn't a very important guest on the ship. I have cruised on ships on the lowest deck, to inside cabins a liittle higher up, to a concierge cabin on the Celebrity Century. On all of those cruises, I felt that it didn't matter what I paid for my cabin. This time it was obvious that it did matter. Will not cruise on a Solstice ship again.

Publication Date: 12/31/13