Brilliance of the Seas Cruise Review by chel98: Disappointing

Compare Prices on Brilliance of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Disappointing

Sail Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Tampa

This was my families first Royal Carribbean cruise and possibly our last. The positives were a very easy checkin process with quick boarding. The ship itself was very nice and seemed to be well kept. The public areas were nice but lacking in holiday decor. Overall the crew seemed depressed and not very friendly. Some places the crew were down right rude! One example was the front desk, I went to claim my bingo winnings and was treated like I forged the receipt! The gentleman at the front desk checked my signature twice, kept holding the receipt up to the light and telling me it looked scanned! This was only for $36!!!

My family and I had a balcony cabin on the bump out on deck nine. I always try for a bump out because of the location as well as the larger balconies. This was not the case , our balcony was tiny. This ship was renovated this past year but I don't think any of the money was spent on the rooms. The bathrooms are the original with old looking toilets and shower More curtains, which was dirty with stains. The bed was the worst I have ever slept on in a ship. They were so bad my husband and I couldn't sleep most nights. The couch was dirty and looked like the original from pictures I've seen online. The curtains were ripped and stained as well. The only positive thing I could say about the room was it had plenty of storage and our room attendant did a great job.

The dinning on the ship was ok, we ate in the main dinning room most nights. The food was average at best. Our waiters were friendly but all business , everyone ran around the ship barley smiling just doing their job. One night we ate at Chops Grill, I can't say enough about how great that was. Our waiter was excellent ! The food was Fantastic! Well worth the $30 to dine there. Windjammer cafe was pretty bad, we ate there one morning and never ate breakfast there again. It was ok for lunch but there hours were frustrating. You could only get ice cream when it was open for lunch or dinner hours. It seemed like every time my son wanted ice cream it was closed, and then the last day at sea the vanilla side was broken so he couldn't get it at all. I've never been on a ship with such crazy hours. Room service we ordered twice and both times took over an hour . We wanted to try Rita's but it only had snack food not anything substantial so we didn't bother .

The biggest issue on this ship was the toilets. Our toilet didn't work on our floor for half a day, and we were told a few other floors as well. When the ship was stationary in ports the smell was awful ! The day we were in Cozumel we didn't get off the ship we wanted to relax by the pool and the smell was so bad we couldn't ! Not to mention all the smoking areas on this ship, I didn't realize their were indoor smoking areas besides the casino. It seemed like everywhere we went someone was smoking. You couldn't even get off the elevator on the six floor without smelling it from the casino, even the colony club people smoked in. We are used to celebrity their isn't any indoor smoking or smoking on the balconies just designated areas.

Overall not the best first impression for me, but we may try another ship. My parents came with us and they have been on the sister ships and said they enjoyed the jewel and radiance much better. Less

Read more Brilliance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Brilliance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Brilliance of the Seas 9590

Good size and plenty of storage, but needs to be updated . Bathroom dingy and old.