Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by DesignGrl: Back-to-back honeymoon bliss!

DesignGrl
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Back-to-back honeymoon bliss!

Sail Date: October 2013

My husband and I sailed back-to-back on the Allure Western/Eastern Caribbean for 14 days the day after our wedding. It was glorious! We stayed in Ft. Lauderdale Saturday night at Fairfield Inn (free parking for up to 21-days!) and ate at Tap 42 (this is a must for craft beer, local food enthusiasts. It's also very affordable).

After sailing on the Oasis a few years back, we were so excited to try Allure for an extended vacation. We enjoyed every last minute. The first leg of the trip (western) was spent with family and friends while the second leg (eastern) was spent with just each other. It was the perfect setup for a great vacation and honeymoon.

Service on the Allure cannot be beat. For as many people on this boat, the service is not lacking at all. Our stateroom was top notch, along with our attendant. The dining room had great service and food. I would say the desserts were not as impressive as they were on the Oasis, for some reason, but they were ok. I still More tried one every night, but unless it was *really* good, I skipped it. And I skipped a lot. But besides that, the food was spectacular. We tried 150 Central Park (for a second time) and it didn't disappoint. We also dined at Chops, Samba and Giovanni's and while the food was very good–excellent even–we will probably only eat in the main dining room next time. I really have come to enjoy the experience in the MDR and I loved the personal service. But if you haven't tried the specialty restaurants, I do recommend them.

The ship was clean and tidy at all times. There is a problem getting chairs by the pool on most days, but you just have to be diligent. I wish they would be more attentive to those who leave their belongings on a chair at 8am, only to go off and have breakfast, clean up and return at, say, 11am. Not cool, fellow cruisers, not cool. But again, with a little determination, you can find a good spot and park it for a bit.

The drinks of the day were pretty good for the price, but I remember them being better on Oasis. Of course, this was before the full liquor packages were available for purchase, so that may contribute to it. Not sure, but it didn't stop me from having my cocktails with little umbrellas.

We had a couple of spa treatments and the spa is without a doubt one of the best, on and off land. It is probably a little more pricey than on land, but let's face it, you're on vacation. I was a little disappointed that my second treatment was met with recommendations for a facial filler to correct my "parenthesis" lines around my mouth. I was on my honeymoon and left there feeling really unattractive. I think they need to work on the timing of upsells. A little disappointing, but I got over it and moved on to the rest of my honeymoon with a man who loves my lines. Just be prepared, ladies, and don't take it to heart. You're beautiful as you are.

We spent a lot of time in the solariam and really enjoyed the quieter time just watching the water. This area does fill up as well, but it seemed easier to find loungers and I think they were a little nicer in this area. Lots of people napping. Kinda seemed to tell a little story about our exhausted, over-worked culture. I can't blame them though, it was so easy to nap there. Lovely.

Husband and I mostly ate breakfast in our stateroom or in the solariam. I enjoyed the breakfast in most areas of the ship. The food from room service is so-so, but it's convenient. And if you have a balcony, it's a must to have coffee there in the mornings. So nice to see the views of the latest port.

Try the hot dog place! I can't remember the name, but oh my they were delish. I had the German one and it did not disappoint.

Overall, we both really enjoyed our vacation and honeymoon. It's the perfect group trip because there is so much to do on and off the ship, so it's easy for groups to come together and have time apart. We enjoyed the ship and the ports. Our faves: Jamaica - Irie Blue Hole; Haiti - over the water cabana; Cozumel - Nacci Cocom; St. Thomas - ferry to St. John and hike to Honeymoon beach; St, Maarten - Capt. Bob's private speed boat tour of the island; Nassau - historic walk thru the city and the Queen's staircase. Such a beautiful trip. (These we all did on our own, no excursions, except for Capt Bob, but that is not booked through the ship. Google him and you will find the great reviews and info to book.)

I highly recommend this ship and these ports. We look forward to our next cruise soon. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas 6556

Very roomy, lovely balcony, lots of storage. The bathroom was small, but to be expected. I do think the upholstered furniture is in need of replacement and/or a deep cleaning. They're starting to show wear and tear and generally looked like they needed to be cleaned. Otherwise, a very nice stateroom with all the necessary amenities.