Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by waterproof

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by waterproof
Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Breakaway
Member Name: waterproof
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Nassau
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Disappointed

From the start, I was not thrilled with the ports this ship was docking at, but I was anticipating a great ship considering it is NCLs newest and largest. Large ship - yes!

The complimentary dinning rooms are broken down into Savor, Taste and Manhattan Room (or up on the 15h Deck is the Garden Cafe - buffet). Although with freestyle you can dine and time you choose, Savor and Taste were small dinning rooms, very un-cruise-like for a main dinning room. Their food was satisfactory at best. The Manhattan Room was large, had a piano player and dance floor which made it a more enjoyable atmosphere. The food in the Manhattan Room was much better than the other two (Savor and Taste) whole-in-the-wall 'main' dinning rooms. Whichever dinning room you choose, you still have to wait a substantial period of time (like 30-40 minutes).

They incorrectly use the term 'atrium' on this ship. There is no atrium. You can look down from deck 7 to deck 6 and that is it! The main lobby's main attraction is a huge screen where they show movies. If you go on a cruise to sit in an easy chair, watch a movie while falling asleep - then you'll love this. Otherwise, the main lobby is a bust!

Night life is sorely lacking. I caught Rock of Ages which I thought was very good, and Cirque was okay. I had no desire to see the other shows. I sat in Burn the Floor for five minutes and left. On other cruises I liked hanging out in the disco at night and into the wee hours. The 'disco' (a very loose use of the term) on this ship is a dark, small room, box. When I walk into a disco I want lights flashing (like the John Travolta dance floor), disco balls hanging from the ceiling, etc. This one was a total bust and not conducive to shaking your thing.

After walking into the potential night spots, I wound up spending most nights in Fat Cats. Slam Allen was wonderful, but you sat on your azz listening to his great music. I'd much rather be dancing, shaking and moving than sitting.

The ship was way to boxed off into small restaurants, entertainment areas, etc. The staff was satisfactory to a bit below par. Don't forget you do not HAVE TO pay the $12 per person per day they automatically tack onto you tab. You can alter this when you review your final bill.

There is a switch on the wall outside the bathroom for privacy, or to have your room cleaned. Unfortunately I forgot to flip the switch often so I'd come back to my cabin 6 hours later to find my dirty towels still on the bathroom floor and my bed unmade and I didn't get my cute towel animals often. Oh, but the cabin steward was quick to know my name if I passed him in the hallway!

The hot tubs were luke warm tubs and if you wanted one without 5 and 6 years olds in it you had to go way up to Spice H2O. Although there were signs on half of the hot tubs on the main pool level "18 and over" it didn't seem to mean a thing.

All-in-all I was not impressed with NCL nor was I impressed with the Breakaway. Oh, the casino is the main attraction in the middle of (I think) deck 7. Major problem!!! It is a walk through on the deck with casino on the left and on the right. KIDS were walking through the casino all day long. Last I heard kids are not allowed in casinos. Very, very poor planning.

At the main deck in the lobby I looked and a looked for a daily. There were flyers for upcoming cruises, for joining their frequent sailing club - not no daily. When I asked someone behind the counter he had to give me one from the cabinet. Now why oh why isn't the daily easy to access in the main lobby?

Publication Date: 12/30/13