Star Princess Cruise Review by shamrockace

Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Hawaii
Cabin Number: D711
See More About: Star Princess Cruise Reviews | Hawaii Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Star Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Star Princess Deck Plans
Most relaxing of all cruises - Hawaii 15 day roundtrip from Los Angele

This was our 10th cruise, having cruised on Royal, Carnival and Princess before. This was our first cruise to Hawaii. We are in our early 50's and cruised with our son & DILl as well as SIL & HIL for a total of 6 people. We found the Star Princess to be perfect in size and was very well kept. Service was wonderful. The Hawaiin themed activities were superb. You could choose between lei making classes, hula classes, eukelalie lessons, language lessons, lectures and food demos all for free.

I was worried about two things: being bored with so many sea days & being seasick on the way to and from Hawaii. Neither ever happened. It seemed they had more than the normal activities during sea days and even though I could feel the ship moving, not once did I feel seasick. My daughter-in-law was suffering from some morning sickness (yea, our first grandbaby) and even she said the movement of the ship didn't bother her.

They had a good selection of latest movies playing on the "MUTS" every evening. They would show a hawaii based movie during the day to play into the Hawaiin Theme. I would have liked a bigger selection of comedians, but we did have several.

The Halloween party was wonderful with everyone particpating including the wait staff and casino staff. The Maitri D' was a sumo wresler and was hilarious. They even had a haunted hallway which was impressive.

We enjoyed all the ports, choosing to book all but one ourselves to save money. Hawaii excursions can be costly, but if you do your reseach, there are many choices that don't cost an arm or leg.

Food was good, heavy on the seafood. I'm midwest grown, so we are more beef people, but they had a good selection. By the end of the cruise, I was ready for some "normal" food. I miss chips when I'm on a cruise. They need to offer them with sandwiches. The pizza on Princess is the best I've eaten. The grill was good for their chicken sandwiches. No real lines anywhere.

Princess is our favorite due to their MUTS schedule and entertainment schedule. I like the 3 showings a night of most shows and the choice of more than one venue at one time. We also love Princess fresh water pools which are warm and not cold like other lines. Also there are less children although more scooters / wheelchairs.

Hubby sometimes uses a wheelchair. Although we did take one just in case, it wasn't needed this particular trip. I did note some rude scooter users who thought nothing of running over anyone that got in their way. Most didn't act familiar with the scooter, so I will assume it isn't something they regularly use, making them a little dangerous.

Publication Date: 12/30/13