Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by jfemme

Member Name: jfemme
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Mediterranean
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
Our first Mediterranean: Amazing ports, not-so-amazing ship

SHIP: Everything looks new and clean. With the exception of the vents and cabins (more on that later)

SERVICE: Guest services desk was fantastic, we went there a couple of times and they were nice and efficient. Room steward was top notch, great guy. Diner waiter looked lost and brought the wrong dish on 3 different occasions.

PORTS: Best itinerary out there, specially if you travel with a senior that dislikes planes and wants to see as much as possible in one trip!

FOOD: Possibly the worst selection I've seen on a cruise ship. Poor service in the diner, limited selection in the lido restaurant. More often than not we found ourselves eating the same turkey sandwich at the deli, or a pizza, which were the only decent dishes we can remember. The cakes and sweets in general were terrible. I've got a sweet tooth and I'm not exactly picky about dessert. I like to try a bit of everything but no one in our party found them remotely good. So we had ice cream or "yogurt" every other night...whenever the machine was working.

ENTERTAINMENT: Lack of a proper disco makes this cruise a terrible choice if you like to socialize and make new friends. The make-shift theater-disco is a terrible flaw and nobody really wanted to stay there after the main show was over so everyone was at the piano bar.

DECK 6:

Please avoid deck 6 if you suffer from allergies or sinusitis. We were in a midship cabin. I don't know if the entire ship had this problem but we had some serious amount of dust, lint and FEATHERS falling from the vent...right on top of my bed. Everything was covered in it. Just to test my theory, I left my tablet on top of the vanity; in only 3 days you could easily write your name with the amount of dust in it. It was a nightmare.

Our room steward did everything he could to help us but it wasn't his fault. The moment we got in I started sneezing and I was on allergy meds for 12 days, I had to sleep with a napkin on my face (yes one of the diner napkins) to be able to sleep at all. We've been on 11 cruise ships, including the Carnival Destiny, and we never had such a bad experience. Nothing ruins a vacation like getting sick or injured.

Also avoid if you're a light sleeper, the Casino is right below, you can hear them vacuuming at night/early morning.

Publication Date: 12/30/13
Read the Mediterranean ports review by jfemme
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

More Mediterranean Cruise Reviews