Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by jfemme: Our first Mediterranean: Amazing ports, not-so-amazing ship

jfemme
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Sunshine Mediterranean Cruises

Our first Mediterranean: Amazing ports, not-so-amazing ship

Sail Date: October 2013
Destination: Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

SHIP: Everything looks new and clean. With the exception of the vents and cabins (more on that later)

SERVICE: Guest services desk was fantastic, we went there a couple of times and they were nice and efficient. Room steward was top notch, great guy. Diner waiter looked lost and brought the wrong dish on 3 different occasions.

PORTS: Best itinerary out there, specially if you travel with a senior that dislikes planes and wants to see as much as possible in one trip!

FOOD: Possibly the worst selection I've seen on a cruise ship. Poor service in the diner, limited selection in the lido restaurant. More often than not we found ourselves eating the same turkey sandwich at the deli, or a pizza, which were the only decent dishes we can remember. The cakes and sweets in general were terrible. I've got a sweet tooth and I'm not exactly picky about dessert. I like to try a bit of everything but no one in our party found them remotely good. So we had ice cream or More "yogurt" every other night...whenever the machine was working.

ENTERTAINMENT: Lack of a proper disco makes this cruise a terrible choice if you like to socialize and make new friends. The make-shift theater-disco is a terrible flaw and nobody really wanted to stay there after the main show was over so everyone was at the piano bar.

DECK 6:

Also avoid if you're a light sleeper, the Casino is right below, you can hear them vacuuming at night/early morning. Less

Read more Carnival Sunshine cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sunshine Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sunshine 6252

Please avoid deck 6 if you suffer from allergies or sinusitis. We were in a midship cabin. I don't know if the entire ship had this problem but we had some serious amount of dust, lint and FEATHERS falling from the vent...right on top of my bed. Everything was covered in it. Just to test my theory, I left my tablet on top of the vanity; in only 3 days you could easily write your name with the amount of dust in it. It was a nightmare.Our room steward did everything he could to help us but it wasn't his fault. The moment we got in I started sneezing and I was on allergy meds for 12 days, I had to sleep with a napkin on my face (yes one of the diner napkins) to be able to sleep at all. We've been on 11 cruise ships, including the Carnival Destiny, and we never had such a bad experience. Nothing ruins a vacation like getting sick or injured.Also avoid if you're a light sleeper, the Casino is right below, you can hear them vacuuming at night/early morning.

We didn't expect this port to be our favorite port in a Mediterranean cruise trip. It was beautiful! I read about the cable car and decided to take the local bus to go there. SO SO worth it! The ride was pleasant, the people in the bus even helped us by telling us where our stop was, they were so nice and happy to help, it left such a good impression on us. The ride to the top of the mountain is unbelievable, incredible sight. There's a small cafe & restaurant at the top where we had some coffee and a cappuccino. What an amazing experience. Then we went down to the old city to explore, with enough time to walk around, have some delicious gelato and see the Rector's Palace.

If you decide to visit the cable car (highly recommended) do that first or you may have to climb dozens of uneven steps to reach the street that leads to the cable car. Just take the bus right at the entrance to the cruise terminal (past the guard). Buy tickets at the small store near a bancomat (ATM) and wait for the bus to arrive. I don't remember how many stops there were but anywhere from 5 to 10. Either ask a local or just wait, you will see the cable car and people lining up on your right. To get into the city from there is fairly easy, just walk down the street and down the steps into the city. You can then leave at the end of the day through the front entrance. Remember to buy new tickets for the bus. I'm so glad we did it that way!