Sapphire Princess Cruise Review by beege1936

Member Name: beege1936
Cruise Date: October 2013
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: South Pacific
See More About: Sapphire Princess Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals

Lots'a SEA DAYS !

And we love sea days....after the evening show when the Cruise Director announced the events for the next and said...SEA DAY...the audience cheered.... Guess we fit in!

As usual, we do enjoy our time spent on Princess cruises, this being no exception. Our weather was quite good throughout, there was minimum problem with 'rocking of the ship'.

Dining be a highlight of cruising, I'll start here. In the past my wife and I have always selected 'late seating' and were placed with other cruisers for the duration of time on board (for good or bad). This time we selected 'anytime' with a bit of trepidation, hoping to meet pleasant folks and not have too long a wait to be seated. As it worked out, we met a great deal more folks than if we did the late option. Without any hesitation, I'll recommend this anytime option.

If there was any complaint, it was that the servers did not get to know us. I am a 'coffee freak', liking a cup of hot coffee shortly after being seated...and then for the servers to keep the cup full. Too often the server didn't watch and so I had to keep after them for refills. When at a fixed table, this didn't happen. Oh well, not a dramatic problem so we'll continue the anytime seating.

We really enjoy the Scholarship @ Sea lectures. This cruise was no different. Spaced at 9:30 am, 11:30 am and then 1:30 pm leave the day cut up so that attendance at other events could be a problem. It was no problem for me, however, my wife found she had to make choices between exercise classes or lectures....generally the lectures won!

Evening show have be changed in their timing; 7:00pm, 8:30pm and 10:00pm...making it easy to dine and see the show. BUT the shows have been reduced in duration. This ends up with the audience wanting more. Also, there isn't a second show in the Vista Lounge and we missed it since some of the Theater shows really weren't to our interest.

Since the ship was pretty stable there seemed to be a significant increase in use of the pools....still not overcrowded. The hot tubs (spa tubs) are a disappointment because they are misnamed. They should be named the "Warm Tubs", and even at times "Cool Tub". If they were just a few degrees hotter they'd be more useful for dissipating the stress of the day.

The internet, though slow, as usual, was accessible whenever I tried to hook up.

The cabin was fine, the steward took good care of us. I just wish they had more hangers....I have resorted to packing some plastic ones instead of the wire ones supplied if you need more. Perhaps the need for more hangers is due to us driving to the port and not having a weight and baggage limitation. Our next cruise from LA to Osaka will require us to have a lesser amount of 'stuff' so that hanger issue may be gone.

Boarding was prompt, efficient and we made it to the Lido Buffet without undue delay...LOL

Departing the ship for shore excursions was well handled, security didn't become overly intense.

A quick, one line comment, to close:

We enjoyed every minute.