“Disappointing cruise after last year's great one”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas

sparklingsoul Navigator of the Seas 3 Disappointing cruise after last year's great one
sparklingsoul
Member Since 2013
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

I just got back from the Dec. 15 crusie from Galveston to Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Last year I was on the Navigator to Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Cozumel, and I loved it--the food was great, and the service was impeccable.

To begin, embarkation took almost TWO HOURS! I was exhausted, my feet were killing me, and I was starving (didn't get lunch until almost 3:00pm).

This year, I got the sense that everyone was "waiting for dry dock," which happens next month. Basically, the ship is short-staffed, because a lot of employees left early for their vacation due to dry dock. I also found the restaurant staff to, in general, be sloppy and inattentive, and they were not particularly friendly. The food on this cruise was fair to poor. My general sense is that everyone is mentally checked out, due to upcoming dry dock. I did have another excellent stateroom attendant.

I liked my room, but it really needs to be overhauled. Next month it goes into dry dock, where they will put in new carpeting, upholstery, cabinets, etc. The bed was unbelievably hard and uncomfortable--my stateroom attendant put 6 comfortor covers on top of the bed for me, and that helped, but I can't understand why they bought such hard beds. I did like the ability to leave your sliding-glass door open all night (on Holland American, they made it difficult to prop the balcony door open), and I slept with the door open every night. My stateroom attendant did an excellent job keeping the room spotless twice a day.

I am sure that if you cruise after the ship is revamped, you will have a much better experience, and the ship will be beautiful.

Navigator of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

9674

Lamanai Mayan Ruins

I took the RC Lamanai tour, and it was essentially a disaster. We spent three hours getting to the ruins, then they rushed us through the ruins in less than an hour. We didn't eat lunch until 2:30, and we had no snacks. It started pouring rain on the speed-boat ride back to the bus, and we were soaked to the bone and freezing for four hours. The boat should have provided us with real ponchos, or they should have canceled the trip because they are not set up for rain. Truly a miserable day, which is too bad, because the ruins are amazing.

Port

In Cozumel I took a taxi straight to Mr. Sancho's Beach, and had a fabulous day. For $50, I had all I could eat and drink, with access to beach chairs and kayaks. The rent lockers ($10 refundable deposit), which is great, because you can lock up your valuables. The food is OK, but the margaritas are awesome. Bring enough cash to pay for the taxis and for deposits for the kayaks and lockers. Mr. Sancho's accepts credit cards.

Read 4,590 Cozumel Reviews
Port

I went to Little French Key in Roatan, Honduras, and it was specatular! You must spend the day at Little Frenc Key, which is a family-owned island where the number of visitors is very limited. They served delicious food and drinks, and I spent the day swimming in the sea and kayaking (kayaks are included in the price). I paid $88 for transportation, food, two drinks, and use of all facilities. You can make a reservation at littlefrenckey.com. So beautiful! It's a piece of paradise.

Read 2,205 Roatan Reviews
Published 12/30/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Navigator of the Seas Review
Navigator of the Seas Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?