Disney Wonder Cruise Review by shiner6

Member Name: shiner6
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Galveston
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
Wonder was almost Wonderful!

Well, we started out 2 days early due to the horrific ice storm which swept through north Texas. We were able to beat the storm and made it safely to our Galveston port. Boarding was easy. I should have skipped the pre-registration for my daughter in the Kids club....that line was not expedient...and could have done it onboard with less stress. All was good as we entered the Atrium to hear our Families name announced...Disney knows how to please. We went straight to guest services to request Gingerbread House class and tea time tickets....only to find both were sold out!!! It was not even noon yet! Oh well, we shrugged and proceeded to Parrott Cay for a great Lunch. The food was very good-nice roast beef and lovely desserts. Check in to our room was also very easy. We had a room on level 1 with 2 small portholes....No problems with room. I found it to be quite cozy with plenty of room for 3. My daughter had a berth, which she loved. The room was quiet and centrally located, which made it a breeze to get anywhere!

THE ENTERTAINMENT ON BOARD WAS TOP NOTCH AND QUITE VARIED...THERE WAS ALWAYS PLENTY TO SEE AND DO FOR EVERYONE! I cannot RAVE ENOUGH ABOUT THE OCEANEER'S CLUB--IT IS JUST SIMPLY SPECTACULAR--The staff were engaged and superior at their jobs. I was especially mesmerized by Aladdin, he was a wonderful storyteller, and I found myself enchanted by his stories. My daughter simply did not want to leave the club!

We had a lovely brunch at PALO--served by a superb waiter named Toni. I enjoyed my time and meal immensely. The rest of the food was rather mediocre at best...not quite the same standard we had experienced on the Magic a year earlier. Not to say the food was bad (except for places listed below), rather it was just ok most of the time. The hamburgers and chicken sandwhiches at the pool were inedible-we tried them only once and couldn't swallow them. The food on Castaway Cay was pretty bad! Hotdogs, hamburgers and ribs--how can you mess that up like they did? We enjoyed room service on several occasions, and they were great, fast and friendly. The buffet was good. Disney does a decent job here-feeding the masses. I was impressed with the first courses and desserts during our Main dining experience. The rolls were exceptional...fresh and crusty everyday. Salads and appetizers were varied and nicely presented. What I did not like were the majority of the main entrees. I saw the table next to mine receive what appeared to be nicer meals not on the menu which I received. Perhaps this colored my opinion, but the food just was not that good. My server was very forceful in choosing my daughters menu against my wishes, and I eventually requested a different server after putting up with him for 3 days....this put a very bad taste in my mouth as I felt bad at having to move to a different location ( I actually felt guilty at reporting him...as I know they work very hard and have a tough time at sea). I really felt empathy for all of the staff-I just don't know if I will be able to enjoy myself on future cruises , as it seemed like many of the staff at the buffet and cabin stewards were overworked and frenzied at times.

We had such a fantastic experience on the Magic in 2012, The Wonder really didn't measure up to our previous experience, although it definitely was fun and the Disney Characters and Pirate night were great. The Pros outweigh the Cons and I think Disney does a great job, but you could see some tarnish starting to show through....Needs a little buffing before I will return. I am wondering if Disney is a a little disappointing-what would the experience be on another line? I am booked for a Princess Cruise in June, but am now questioning whether this is a good choice?

Publication Date: 12/29/13