Carnival Victory Cruise Review by junoreview

Member Name: junoreview
Cruise Date: December 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 11
See More About: Carnival Victory Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Disappointment for a vacation

We bought the "Faster to the fun" for an additional charge. We were the second group to board and asked a crew member for directions to our cabin. She looked at our card and said cabins were not ready until 1:30 pm, so we were stuck carrying our luggage until then. We had paid extra so our cabin would be ready earlier. I asked at guest services for a fridge as we had medicine to store and was basically told tough luck as there were none available. There were no crew members around to direct passengers to their cabin as I wandered aimlessly looking for it.

Food in the outdoor Lido deck was terrible, chicken was cold and dry. Ate in the Atlantic and Pacific dining rooms a couple of times and gave up going there as the service was uneven and the food was not even great. Example of poor service was getting a drink from the bar after we finished dessert. Server did not even ask us if we still wanted the drink and just stood there until we signed the bar receipt. The staff seating us sometimes asked if we wanted to sit with people and just made assumptions and seated us with people although I specifically asked for a table of two. We went at different times and always got a crappy table that was cramped or facing a pole. There were window seats and empty tables so they could have spaced us apart so we could have a quiet dinner. I asked for a different table, and was told this is what you get for dining it your way! What a way to put you in a great mood for dinner? Table service was uneven. Sometimes they asked if we wanted coffee or tea and sometimes they did not. I only got asked about my meal after my husband had finished his. We went down to the buffet at the Lido deck so I could get a bite to eat. This happened at breakfast and dinner. We finally gave up with the dining room and ate the remaining meals in the buffet.

We went to a shore excursion orientation in the Caribbean lounge and had to ask for the raffle tickets that were being distributed. The crew member never came up to pick them up from us so we were never entered in the draw.

The "Faster to the Fun" option was supposed to give us a separate priority to the tenders. We met at guest services and when we were told we could go down to the tender, I was expecting a crew member to escort us down. What I got was running down a flight of stairs and merging with the other passengers on the stairways, losing my husband in the crush, and no orderly loading of the passengers. There was two different types of tenders and the one I was on did not have a ramp for strollers or wheelchairs or adult seat strollers or for people with a walking disability, yet they loaded us on. There was no safety announcement on leaving the ship. When we docked at Half Moon Cay, the crew member on the top deck ran down the stairs. No announcement was made to the passengers on the top deck to wait until the passengers on the bottom deck got off. No announcement was made to the passengers on the top deck that needed assistance to wait and a crew member would assist them. I lost my husband getting of the tender as I started asking people if they needed help with their strollers or canes to go down the stairs. Then other passengers started to pitch in. There was no crew member on the top deck assisting. I stayed on the top deck until the final elderly passengers (one with a cane) could go down the stairs. That is when I finally saw a crew member come and assist.

At Half Moon Cay, there were no lounge chairs available unless you got there on the first tender. Some of the lounge chairs were broken. We missed the BBQ lunch and when we got back to the ship the buffet was closed so had to line-up for the deli and got a grilled cheese sandwich that was cold.

The tender back was a nightmare of its own. We were sitting on the top deck near the exit to the gangway back to the ship. When we were alongside the ship, several crew members with white t-shirts that had their names tags on surged ahead of the passengers to get off the tender first. I found that rude and this created a surge of the other passengers to push and get off the tender. There was no crew member organizing the passengers to get off in an orderly manner by row or anything. I was getting pushed to move and crowd on the narrow gangway from the tender to the ship where we had to check-in and go through a security screening. I went to guest services to complain and the crew member seemed indifferent to my complaint and said it would be investigated. I got a form letter response from Carnival Cruise in my cabin that did not address my complaint.

Even in the elevators, crew members would get off the elevators before passengers.

At the ports, we were pursued by aggressive photographers to take our photos. On day 1, we were asked several times if we wanted to purchase a drink and declined several times. And this was only at lunchtime.

The only quiet part on the outside decks of the ship was crowded all the tie. People reserved the lounge chairs all day long. The hot tub was small and always full. The outdoor movies would have been great but it was so cold and windy and there were no blankets available.

The cabin attendant does deserve recognition for keeping the cabin clean. A few of the crew members in the buffet deserve recognition for being proactive in asking passengers how they were and offering to get coffee or tea for them. Sheena and Aimee in the spa were friendly. Even the guy with the floor cleaner was nice and said hi to us. I went to guest services three times and each time was a disappointment. About 80% of the remaining crew were unsmiling, unfriendly and provided below par service. This was supposed to be a vacation, but I had to work so hard to make it bearable and just stayed in my cabin until we returned to Miami.

The Faster to the Fun option gave me priority 1 to disembark. Unfortunately, I watched as the priorty 2 group got their luggage before I did. This trip was supposed to be a scouting trip to see if I would plan a family reunion. If you want to avoid a family feud, don't go! This was not relaxing or fun.

Publication Date: 12/29/13