Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by New2Cruzin2

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Sunshine Cruise Review by New2Cruzin2
Carnival Sunshine
Carnival Sunshine
Member Name: New2Cruzin2
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans
Destination: Bahamas
See More About: Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Carnival Sunshine Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Carnival Sunshine Deck Plans
Ain't No Sunshine on the Sunshine

You blew it Carnival. You have seriously let down cruisers with your cutbacks and lack of customer service. I DO NOT blame the extremely hard working staff and crew...I blame the management, the CEO, the so called decision makers.

For example:

1. Food - if supposed to be hot, will be served lukewarm to cold. Guaranteed. I did not have ONE hot item either in the dining room, in room service or in buffet. Only place I received hot food, was Guy's Burgers, however I do not cruise to eat burgers 7 days!!

Food - if supposed to be cold, will also be served lukewarm or dangerously close to spoiled. I ordered shrimp cocktail every night...and DID NOT EAT IT ONCE due to the temperature. When I pointed this out to my waiter, he shook his head, said "so sorry but the next one will probably be the same." WHAT????

2. Wait staff - one word- OVERWORKED!! They try so hard and are such wonderful people but no human can keep up with the amount of diners they had to serve! I have worked as a waitress while attending college and I cannot fathom how anyone can be expected to them to serve 10 tables which includes several tables of 6-8 people. It is not possible for a waiter to successfully serve that many people.

3. Anytime dining - DON'T DO IT!! You are given a pager, told you can wait on level 3 4 or 5 as the pager will reach those areas. Ok...this was true. We went to deck 5, had a drink and relaxed. After 30 mins, pager went off. Not bad at all, we wait longer than that at restaurants at home. However, when you try to return the pager to the desk, ALL staff members are busy giving new diners pagers and listening to diners complaints. I stood there for over 20 mins with the FLASHING pager in my hand...no one looked at me or offered to help me. Then I noticed there were 6 other diners with the same flashing pager in their hands. All of us were ignored! I finally walked up to desk, interrupted the desk staff and asked what the now 8 of us were to do with our flashing pagers, she said "Just a minute" and turned back to the person complaining about the long wait to get a pager. Finally, a very flustered and sweaty waiter grabbed my pager and led us to our table.

We passed at least 2 dozen empty, clean, set tables....just waiting for hungry people. What was the wait for??? Tables were available......when I asked the waiter that sat us what was happening, he shrugged and said "no one to take people to tables tonight". Not Ok Carnival!!!!

Needless to say, we requested Late Dining after our meal and were sent a note that night under our door saying "your dining request has been approved, Late Dining"

Night 2.....Late Dining....table for 8 by window. Sitting with 3 other couples. Service - SUPER SLOW. Takes over 2 1/2 hours to eat. Most of that time spent waiting...and waiting...and waiting for food. While the waitstaff runs from table to table to table. Ask for butter....waiting. Ask for water to be refilled.....waiting.

Dining on the Sunshine equals waiting for lukewarm food. Period.

4. Cabin - too warm. Just barely tolerable. While in port, temperature became almost intolerable. Had dial turned all the way to cool and I don't think the room ever got below 72 degrees or so. At night, we slept on top of the sheet. Bed - very comfy. Bathroom - same as every other ship. Nothing special about the cabin.

5. Pool area - Pool laughably small...tiny...ridiculous. I counted 24 people in the pool and it was crowded. This is on a ship that holds 3000 people. You do the math. Guess who was in all the hot tubs? Yup, kids around 6-12 yrs old. Not one adult. Where are the parents of these kids?? No where to be seen. I surprised more tragedies aren't reported due to lake of parental supervision.

6. Serenity area - 3 levels of wonderful! Pool is again ridiculously tiny but the waterfall is amazingly relaxing, chairs were surprisingly plentiful.....and then it is all ruined by the NOISE level from the main pool deck below!! Bad planning Carnival. Bad decision by decision makers!! Why put the relaxing all adult area right above the main pool party zone???? What were you thinking?? Fail!

7. Sewage smell - everywhere from time to time. I walked deck 4 by the elevators and the smell was overwhelming. Then it was gone. It would hit you in the face like a foul cloud, make you want to hold your breath....then it was gone. No rhyme or reason.

8. Buckets - Yup...saw 'em on multiple decks in multiple locations with a caution wet sign next to it. Very unattractive Carnival!!! Sounds like bad workmanship. Maybe you hired super cheap labor and got what you paid for?

Ok, I'm done. You get the jist. I still enjoyed myself because I was away from everyday life and happy to be on a ship. Will never ever ever cruise a refurbished ship again! I will stick to the Dream or Magic. However, If Carnival continues on this path with other ships....... Bye bye. There are other cruise lines.

Carnival, I beg you! Wake up and listen to your cruisers!!! We want to love you! We want to cruise with you! But you are letting us down :-(

Publication Date: 12/29/13
More Carnival Sunshine Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Carnival Sunshine review Read the next Carnival Sunshine review

More Bahamas Cruise Reviews