Nieuw Amsterdam Cruise Review by subo123: A Lovely Escape

Public Rooms Not Rated

Compare Prices on Nieuw Amsterdam Western Caribbean Cruises

A Lovely Escape

Sail Date: December 2013

I recently returned from a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We had cabin 8114 and our friends had wheelchair friendly cabin 8116. It was a wonderful cruise! Everything was topnotch...the food, the service, the itinerary and the shore excursions.

If you are not heavy wine drinkers, they will keep your bottle for you for the next evening AND will transfer it to another restaurant if perhaps you're trying Pinnacle Grill or Tamarind...

Holland America staff were waiting for us with cold bottles of water and cold, wet washcloths on the pier near the ship. What a nice touch after a warm day!

One thing I did notice that I didn't like was a big vibration at certain points on the ship. It was particularly obvious in the Tamarind restaurant. We switched tables 3 times and couldn't get away from it there.

We were traveling in cabins 8114 and 8116, an accessible cabin.
8114 had better close space, a nice baloney, and a bath More tub (no jacuzzi).

I have been on other caribbean cruises, but the itinerary, ship and excursions on this one were the best yet! Less

Read more Nieuw Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Nieuw Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Nieuw Amsterdam Large Ocenaview Stateroom Main 8114

We were traveling in cabins 8114 and 8116, an accessible cabin. 8114 had better close space, a nice baloney, and a bath tub (no jacuzzi). 8116 had less closet space and was geared for somebody in a wheelchair so a lot of your clothes need to hang in the lower half of the closet. The bathroom was very generous and there was a seat and bars in the shower, but no tub. The balcony on 8116 was at an angle facing the front of the ship which was especially nice when sailing. There is a ramp up/down through the balcony door for a wheelchair in 8116.

Zip-lining

(5)

This excursion was for zip-lining and a beach break. I can't be in the sun long and skipped the beach part. I had never zip-lined before. This excursion was more strenuous than the horseback riding or dolphin swim...okay don't laugh the animals were doing the work on those! You have to be able to climb up narrow ladders between each "zip". There were six zips on the circuit and you got to do the circuit twice so that's about 12 x 10' of ladder climbing. The guys were excellent about fitting each person individually, giving us instructions before we started and making sure we were connected to a safety line while waiting on each tower for our turn to zip.

Dolphin Swim

I will never forget "Cappy" our dolphin and the opportunity to swim with him. Feeling his nose touch the bottom of your foot and propel you through the water..still brings a smile to my face.
I would do this one again in a heartbeat. The staff was very concerned about your safety and the dolphin's safety. All jewelry must be removed, so leave it on the ship!
I loved it!

I loved this private island with the BEAUTIFUL beach. We did the horseback riding excursion on land, the beach and in the surf. Richie and the staff were all very careful about everyones safety.
I am 63 and have rarely ridden a horse, and haven't done so for probably 30 years. They start you out (English saddles) with a walk around part of the island, then take you down to the beach and walk in the sand. After returning to the corral you take off your shoes, and get on a different horse that is equipped with a water saddle..that's when the real fun begins! The day we were there the surf was a little bit rough so people were trying had to hold on! You wear a little lifebelt so if you fall off in the water no worries! I loved every minute of it! Everyone couldn't have been nicer, attentive to safety and also to having a good time! My only regret is that they told us on the ship not to bring cash as I would like to have tipped them.
Lockers are provided for your belongings at the corral.

Afterwards we rented a clamshell on the beach...it kept blowing over...didn't seem to be able to anchor it very well. The clamshell large enough for 2 people in lounge chairs to enjoy the view but be sheltered from the sun.

Even if you just get off for a swim, the beach was beautiful! There was a long wait to get a tender to return to the ship because everyone was called back an hour early due to big waves.