Star Princess Cruise Review by atgmaildotcom: Underwhelmed and unpleasant

Underwhelmed and unpleasant

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

My husband and I took a 15-day cruise to Hawaii. The activities were sparse. When there were activities there were major scheduling conflicts. Princess schedules activities when other activities are already scheduled to take place or during dinnertime. For example, scheduling multiple activities around 2pm and then having a gap until dinnertime, which then caused passengers to have to choose between their traditional dinning and an activity. In our case we had the 8pm dinning time and there were numerous nights when trivia was during that time. We would miss trivia and go to the 8pm slot for dinner or risk heading to the buffet style eating option (Horizon Court), which had terrible service, where almost always we would not get service. Occasionally, my husband would speak with the staff and it would get better for that sitting as we had been pointed out, but without fail our service returned to subpar during our next visit. Additionally, the food left a lot to be desired, and seemed More leftover or repeated on many occasions. We heard the food was good in the specialty dinning, but that was for a premium when you’ve already paid for the cruise.

We went to one of the events with the shopping host, who was awful. He went on and on repeating the same thing for the better part of an hour when the same information was in a packet that was handed out at the beginning of the event that you could read in minutes. As a promotion, passengers would get a free gift when attending the event. If I were you, now that I know, I wouldn’t bother going to the event, and the free gift is not worth it. The shopping host tried to give me changing color nail polish to which I declined. I would not wear that nor gift it.

We went to all of the production shows, which were the high points for the cruise. However, I will say that many of the passengers commented on the shows being repeats and having seen all of them on previous cruises. While, as a first time cruiser the production shows are all Princess had to offer. The best performance was by far the guest performers who were a part of the “Walk Like A Man” show. However, many of the guest performances were not enjoyable, so much so that my husband and I walked out along with numerous other passengers.

Now, for Princess customer relations: A word of advice for those traveling on Princess, instead of filling out the survey Princess will send you, write your review on here and other websites that future cruisers will see. I wish I had read more reviews like mine before deciding to book with Princess. The survey that that is automatically sent to Princess passengers toward the end of the cruise is not getting the word out to future customers and passengers. Particularly if you had a less than stellar experience, Princess is hoping that you’ll fill out the survey, and then talk with Andrew “Andy” Cichy in effort to diffuse the situation so as not to have the bad word of mouth on here and like sites. I digress, if you fill out the survey, here’s what you can anticipate. You will receive an automated email from Andy, exactly 1 day after completing the survey. The email is a thanks for completion and if you want to talk more about the cruise call or email Andy. Ultimately, Andy and I chatted on the phone, and, after a roughly thirty minute conversation there was no remedy for the items explained in my survey and then again on the phone with him. I explained to Andy a compendium of items that were all unacceptable on Princess Cruise’s behalf, told him that he was unhelpful, and requested that he stop repeating what he had already explained, at which point Andy did lose his cool with me, which is par for the course with our Princess Cruise experience. Long story short, don’t waste your time filling out the automated survey that you’ll receive via email from Princess. Should you not take my suggestion, and fill it out, then don’t waste your time following up with Andy. My husband and I are out about roughly $500 if you account for the various items that should have been credited to our account to which Andy said he could only give us a $50 credit that we’ll never use as we won’t be cruising with Princess in the future. Less

Read more Star Princess cruise reviews >>