“Western/Eastern Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam”
Cruise review of Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam

JHOG Nieuw Amsterdam 4 Western/Eastern Caribbean cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam
JHOG
Member Since 2013
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

This is my third time cruising with HAL. The other two times were on the Oosterdam.

The ships are close to being the same and the cabins are identical. Holland has very spacious cabins and my wife and I enjoy the double sink, two showers, and the wider balcony of the Superior state room than on another cruise line. The cabin stewards on the Nieuw Amsterdam were outstanding more so than any other cruise. They were readily available and remembered our standard request without any reminders.

The food on the N. Amsterdam was not in my opinion up to the variety and taste of the Oosterdam nor the Golden Princess on Princess. The Pinnacle Grill on the N. Amsterdam food was not that much better than the main dining room. The Crown Grill on the Golden Princess was far superior. The Tamarind on the N. Amsterdam was worth the extra cost and in my opinion a far greater value than the Pinnacle Grill.

I travel with a service dog and there were many miscommunication problems between the N. Amsterdam guest service staff and their gangway security on whether or not my service dog and I was cleared to disembark for our excursions. One time the delay impacted the departure of the excursion and inconvenienced the other guests.

Holland America Line needs to change their smoking policy. I was forced off my balcony several times because of cigarette smoke from neighboring balconies. I paid for the use of my balcony like my neighbors, but my non-smoking did not restrict their full usage of their balcony. My suggestion to HAL was to pick the Starboard side for Smoking (they both start with S) and the Port side non-smoking. This way both types can be served.

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Nieuw Amsterdam Review
Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Western Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?