“Smooth sailing on board the Nieuw Amsterdam !”
Cruise review of Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam

iltutcruiser Nieuw Amsterdam 5 Smooth sailing on board the Nieuw Amsterdam !
iltutcruiser
Member Since 2012
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

I just returned from 7 days aboard the Nieuw Amsterdam. Embarkation from Ft Lauderdale was a breeze. The Holland America crew really know how to keep a line moving. Our 1st port was Grand Turk. Had a pleasurable visit to Jacks Shack on the beach and enjoyed the local beer and jerk chicken. Next was San Juan, my fav ! Love that island, so many things to see and do. Visited El Jibarito restaurant for their pasteles (seasonal dish) usually Christmas and Mothers Day, along with their awesome mofongo. In port until 11pm which was very nice.

On to St Thomas, we were docked in Crown Bay which is nice. Took the tram to Paradise Point for photos and drinks ! Great place !

The next stop was Half Moon Cay, rented a clamshell for the day and soaked up the warm temperature. Holland America has a magnificent BBQ on the beach and the food and drinks were delicious.

I cannot say enough good things about the ship and her crew. They work together like a well oiled machine. We lacked for nothing on our voyage. No hassles, The entertainment was a pleasure, the musicians were easy on the ears and a lot of fun. There are many nooks inside the ship where one can go to enjoy quiet moments, I really enjoyed that. The gym was well equipped to work off all that fabulous food they prepared. It was all very fresh and tasty. I did not have a bad meal. The sushi was superb ! With all that said.....I had a wonderful cruise experience and cannot wait to sail on HAL again !!! I give the Nieuw Amsterdam 5 stars !!!

Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

4064
Our cabin was very nice. The floor to ceiling windows were great. We had a bit of a view between 2 lifeboats which was fine with us. The bathtub was a plus and the shower roomy. There was plenty of storage. We each had 3 drawers and a closet. There was an extra closet that we didn't even use ! Very spacious, bright, and quiet.
Published 12/28/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Nieuw Amsterdam Review
Nieuw Amsterdam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?