“5 days in Paradise”

Member Since 2013
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating

I decided to give my entire family of five and grandson which make six, a cruise in lieu of birthday presents. I went on this cruise two years ago for my twentieth wedding anniversary and had an amazing time, which I wanted to share with the whole family. I had relatives from out of town fly in and also book the cruise.

Embark/debark in Charleston was well marked and very easy to navigate. Parking is in a locked and guarded warehouse and a trolley is provided from the warehouse to the ship. We handed off 1 suitcase and a pak-and-play and each of us carried on a backpack. 30 minutes later we were on the Lido deck eating lunch waiting for our room.

Cabin:

Entertainment:

Plenty of fun for everyone. If a person doesn’t have fun and totally relaxed on a cruise ship it’s their own fault. The comedy shows were a hit, along with the clubs, piano bar, and Cats Lounge. The Lido deck was packed with sunbathers and dancing on the 89 degree days. I loved the jacuzzis. There were 4 jacuzzis on the ship and each was relaxing. My children loved the waterslides and put-put. I worked out twice and enjoyed the sauna. One of my favorite parts of the cruise was watching the sunrises. Absolutely breathtaking.

Food:

Lido buffet, Mongolian Wok and the Celebrations Dining room “anytime dining” were great. A nice variety of typical cruise cuisine with unlimited entrées, appetizers and desserts with a wait staff that was at our beck and call to satisfy our food desires. However, the wait staff also is one of two areas I have a complaint with. It took too long to eat dinner which caused our group to miss the musical shows. Literally dinner took three hours or more to get served from start to finish. There were no line and we were promptly seated at 5:45. We had steak, lobster, shark and a variety of fish each day, simply amazing taste.

Ports:

We shopped in Nassau for several hours which included liquor store tasting. We drank mixed drinks out of a coconut. I suggest wearing a backpack with a few bottles of water and snacks. My relatives took the submarine excursion and they said it was awesome.

Freeport is by far my favorite port. We booked the dolphin encounter through UNEXSO prior to boarding. We saved 60% by not booking through Carnival. We hopped a short taxi ride to Port Lucaya Marina where we then boarded a small boat for a ride/tour to their private lagoon that showcased 14 bottle nose dolphins. We were brought into the water 4 people at a time along with 2 trainers and two dolphins. We were allowed to bring our waterproof camera into the water and we took over 100 photos. The water on the submerged platforms came up to our waist where we were standing and it was a very nice Caribbean temperature. After the encounter we swam in UNEXSO’s pool. The facility is adjacent to a huge flea/straw market (Port Lucaya Market) and across the street from a private beach of Grand Lucayan Resort.

Overall:

We had a great time and will try to make it an annual affair. The ship is older, but it is well maintained and very clean. The staff is excellent and friendly. I very much recommend this get away.

Carnival Fantasy Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

M155
Cabin:We were in room M155 and M157 which were both oceanview rooms. One room had three twin beds and the other room had a king bed and a crib. There was plenty of closet space and the cabin stewards were amazing. The turn down each night with chocolate and towel animals was very enjoyable.

Submarine Tour

Nassau is the port to shop. Everything is walking distance from the ship. Walk to the pirates museum and take a carriage tour.

Published 12/28/13
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Carnival Fantasy Review
Carnival Fantasy Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?