Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by hopeeternal

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: hopeeternal
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Destination: Canada & New England
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Canada & New England Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

You mean the cruise from hell?

Starting a few days into the cruise it became obvious that more and more people were absent from the dining room. Some jumping up from their tables and running out of the room. I overheard a number of people talking about someone in their party getting sick to their stomachs. My roommate starting getting sick. This is a lady who never gets sick. The first management acknowledged anything was wrong was by a letter left in our cabin. They claimed that it only involved 3% of the passengers. But it was pretty obvious that at least 50% of the people were missing from their tables. And the lounges were pretty deserted every night. By this time I was pretty sick, out of the blue, with a terrible cold. My roommate was still under the weather. There were mobs of people waiting at the medical center to get shots or pills for vomiting. According to the CDC, cruise ships do not have to report illness until it was over 3%. We missed some of the stops and were too sick to leave our cabin. Then some people started coming back to the dining room, but others in their party had become sick. The crew was wonderful - the cabin stewards waiting on us - delivering sick food. The dining room staff. There were two nights I ended up the only one at my table, and that's only because my roommate was so sick and crabby, I had to leave her alone so she could sleep. The last two nights we were the only two at the table. Everyone else was sick, either with the Norovirus or the cold. Not only were we both sick for almost a month after we got home, it was reported on Cruise Critic that quite a few people had been sick, or gotten sick with both the Norovirus, or the cold, within a day or two of returning from the cruise before ours. But management hushed it up, and allowed us all to get on and get sick. We have been on many cruises, but this was the worst cruise ever. Celebrity tried to cover it up, but it didn't work. To add insult to injury, we all received a $75 credit to be used within a year. Like we would ever get on that ship again???

Publication Date: 12/28/13