Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Pride of America Cruise Review by lawrenceahuck: My First Cruise

My First Cruise

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Honolulu

I am eighty years old and had never been on a cruise. I have a close friend that had been on cruises before. She has been saying for years that we should go on a cruise. Two years ago, we started making plans for a cruise. After some discussion, we decided we should go to Hawaii. Neither of us had been to Hawaii, so this would be a great time to fly to Honolulu and cruise the islands.

We made reservations to fly Delta from Columbus, OH to Atlanta, GA, and non stop to Honolulu. We arrived on Thursday evening so we would have some time before getting on the cruise ship. We stayed at the Marriott Courtyard Hotel in Waikiki. It is close to several nice restaurants, shopping and is on the city bus route. On Friday we took the bus to Pearl Harbor. Saturday morning we took the bus to Diamond Head. Saturday afternoon we were picked up by Speedy Shuttle and taken to the harbor where we made our embarkation to the cruise ship. Our cabin was on deck eight. We had a balcony, which made More the cruise extra nice.

We did a number of shore excursions. On Monday, we did the Best of Maui - Plantation, Iao Valley & Ocean Center. On Tuesday, we did the Volcano & Rainbow Falls on the Big Island, Hawaii, . On Wednesday we did the Kona Mocha excursion, also on Hawaii. On Thursday, we rented a car and drove up the east coast of Kauai, to the end of the road at the very northern tip of the island. Thursday evening, we attended the Luau Kalamaku. Great show and very good food and drinks. On Friday, I took the behind the scenes tour on the cruise ship. On Saturday, after returning to Honolulu, we took the Grand Circle Island Tour of Oahu. We were back at the airport by 6:00 PM. We flew out of Honolulu at 10:54 PM Saturday night for LA, CA, and then on to Columbus, OH.

I thought all of the services on the ship were outstanding. The service in the dining areas were great. It was interesting talking with the servers, finding out where they were from, how long they had been on the ship, what their long term plans were, etc. The food was excellent. We went to a number of shows. We enjoyed the performers in the Napa Lounge, the Pink Champagne Lounge and the Mardi Gras Lounge. Over all, everything was great. If I am able to make another cruise, it is going to have to be very good to meet the standards we experienced on Norwegian Cruise Line. Less

Published 12/28/13

Read more Pride of America cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Pride of America Review >>

Compare Prices on Pride of America Hawaii Cruises

Cabin review:

We had a king bed and a balcony. There was plenty of closet space and drawers for our clothes. We slid the luggage under the bed so it was out of the way. The comforter on the bed is too heavy for most people. My friend requested a regular blanket for herself and I slept under the sheet. The cabin was very comfortable. Cabin service was outstanding.

Skip X