Island Princess Cruise Review by Disney Walker: Review of Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess

Disney Walker
Member Since 2013

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Island Princess Panama Canal & Central America Cruises

Review of Panama Canal Cruise on the Island Princess

Sail Date: September 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: San Francisco

We have sail a few times on Princess and have not ever had a really bad experience. We had a smooth pickup at airport and took very little time at the terminal before boarding the Island Princes.

I guess my one complaint was the food. In the main dinning room some was good, some was just ok and dinners were repeated. We ate at the specialty restaurant Bayou Cafe and Steak House one night and the food was good and plentiful especially the huge Porterhouse steak that my husband drooled over. However, since we are not fans of spicy foods, most of it we only just tasted. I still can't get use to taking 2 1/2 hours for dinner, but I guess it is expected when food is cooked to order. Our waiter was great and did his best to keep us happy. We made reservations at Sabatinis but canceled after hearing several people telling us how the food was not that good. Most of the employees were welcoming and polite. A special shout out for Archie and Honey at the Wheelhouse Bar, they were More always pleasant and knew what we wanted to drink before we even had to order it. They were interested in us and we learned so much about their family and their life. Hope to see them again.

Most of the ports we enjoyed but from the time you got off of the ship you were constantly reminded that you were in a third world country. The constant begging put a damper on the tours almost to the point that it was annoying and we just wanted to get out of there.

The Panama Canal was an interesting journey which I'm glad we took. Amazing the process of going through the locks, and was especially unbelievable as the ship went up and down and you can see just how close the ship comes to the concrete wall, it was like you could reach out and touch it. the lakes were beautiful and was fun to watch us playing tag with another ship. I do wish we could have gone to the City of Panama, maybe another time.

If you go on this cruise especially in Aug, Sept. be prepared for it to HOT, HOT, HOT. Also, if you want to purchase jewelry in port, be sure to use the recommended merchants so that if there is a problem you have Princess to back you.

All in all it was a great cruise. Less

Read more Island Princess cruise reviews >>