Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by texasreb: An improvement over earlier NCL cruise

texasreb
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Western Caribbean Cruises

An improvement over earlier NCL cruise

Sail Date: December 2013
Embarkation: New Orleans

Just completed Dec 8 cruise.

A better ship and crew than in February. Which was the worst. This ship has been spruced up, but still shows its age. Yet it does present itself well.

Cabin steward was not up to the usual. We had trouble communicating in English, and I never knew his nationality. Later in week when we needed something. I would find him in the hall, and show him what we needed.

Dining is where this NCL cruise beat the pants off the last. The MDR Czar's Palace for evening usually had a decent menu. The food was mostly good. Maybe not knockout, but at least edible without complaints. Service friendly but not the same as assigned dining. Noisy at times with tables being cleared for next diners. The one time we ate lunch in MDR service was slow.

We did not do much buffet dining. However there was usually something there to eat. The last night my wife got sick about 4 PM. So I dragged out going to MDR. Around 8 PM it was clear she was going More nowhere. Just by chance I went to buffet. It was Deutscher Nacht. This was great. A lot of German dishes including deserts. Sauerbraten, blaukraut, knack and bratwurst, dumplings, a fine apple strudel, on and on.

The entertainers were good. Lots of bands and music groups aboard. The stage shows were.... what to expect on ship. I can't fault the performers, but live music at all the productions would have been nice.

We had an outside room with window. Bathroom was super small, usually small. I have photos if you need them. The biggest bummer ! We can't sit or move in that bathroom !

Public rooms seemed a bit neglected at times. Not kept spic and span as on other ships. Less

Published 12/26/13

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Western Caribbean Cruises

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel

Smallest bathroom I have encountered on a cruise ship. Problem is a pipe chase at rear of bathroom, and near hallway. They took space out of this room to accommodate the pipe chase. Toilet area was barely 20 inches. The wife at 5 10 had to sit with knees out of door. Worse for me at 6 1. Really cramped space.On debarkation I went to other floors and cabins for comparisons. I was told by ship staff to do so. I took photos.4550 is definitely a small toilet area.