Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by melrobbs

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by melrobbs
Rhapsody of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Member Name: melrobbs
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Honolulu
Destination: South Pacific
See More About: Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Reviews | South Pacific Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Hawaii to Sydney

In our late 40's (age wise) we found very little to do on this cruise ship after 11pm at night. We really only had one area to go to after that time. For a few nights the DJ (Yuki) played the duff duff music as well and we noticed that most people left!! Yet she didn't change her selections. Also on theme nights when she invited you to request songs, she rarely had some of the more popular songs to queue up.

Whilst we had a wonderful time on the ship, we found we were searching for things to do, whereas our P & O cruise we were constantly saying oh no what will we choose as we'll miss something else. We felt this was a cruise aimed at a much older demographic, probably between 65 to 80. Personally I'm on holidays and I don't want to go to a seminar on how to help my back pain ;-).

The food was absolutely fantastic, the crew were amazing (huge heads up and thank you to Maria, Antonio & Alejandro in the main dining room, you guys rock!! And Dani our room steward, amazing).

We had a Suite on our previous cruise, but due to booking time had an inside cabin this time, not a negative at all!! It was fine room wise, the bathroom a little tight (I think the shower curtain & I started a relationship at one point as it tried to be intimate with me!!). The plus side was our cabin was very dark, and we slept extremely well, in fact didn't wake up some days till 9 am due to no inside natural lighting, so we did enjoy a sleep in. Would happily recommend an inside cabin!!

The downside was that we had a major norovirus outbreak on this ship, not the cruise line's fault but perhaps not handled so well by the company. We saw many people using public restrooms that clearly had the virus and didn't report to the sick bay. The Crew did all they could to contain it, though one of the ship's nurses mentioned that they had about 40% of the ship down at one point in time or another (probably not correct due to under-reporting - I'm a Nurse myself and the amount that I witnessed that wouldn't report as they didn't want to be secluded in their cabins was astonishing!!). Wasn't a pleasant atmosphere when you had the possibility of gastro facing you at every turn. Again the crew were great, putting out many many hand santitiser pumps around the ship, just a shame that more people didn't use them.

The Islands destinations were amazing, we loved each and every port of call. So many activities to do on the Islands, and we really enjoyed this part of our trip.

The bingo was overpriced compare to other cruises, but we found drink prices were okay, we pre-purchased a 12 bottle wine package, but were a little disappointed when our favourites ran out by day 5, and we had to settle for a more limited choice. The shows on board were great, and we really enjoyed most of them. Would I recommend this cruise, yes and no, if you're over 60, you'll have a fantastic time, if you're not, but are happy to relax and do nothing at times, then still yes. We had a great time and don't regret going on this trip, though we have booked our next one again with P & O.

Also we were invited to join their Crown & Anchor Loyalty Club onboard and pre-pay a deposit for a next one (which we did...), we were meant to wait up to 6 weeks for our application to be processed, some 11 weeks later we still haven't heard from them :-( I'm not put off of RCI, though will chose a ship next time which is larger and has more to offer for the slightly younger crowd.

Publication Date: 12/25/13