Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Palmtree4me

Member Name: Palmtree4me
Cruise Date: September 2013
Embarkation: Vancouver
Destination: U.S.A.
See More About: Norwegian Jewel Cruise Reviews | U.S.A. Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

First & last cruise with them.

This was my first time to cruise with Norwegian Cruise Lines and my last. I only cruised with them because my other cruise for the west coast got canceled. (Thank you Celebrity for not taking a chance on leaving cruisers stranded on a ship with problems).

I booked a two bedroom family suite in "The Haven". Our suite was called the "Passion Flower Suite." The livind/dining room was spacious, but the decor was awful. The lime green sofa and chairs on a hot pink, purple and lime green carpetleft a lot to be desired. The main bedroom/bath was spacious, with plenty of storage and nicely finished out. Unfortunately, the pillow top bed was lumpy. The second bedroom was tiny. It was definitely for kids and not for an adult. The balcony was large with two comfortable chairs and tables. The screwy thing about the balcony, was the window overlooking the tub. You could not cover the window for privacy while you were in the tub.

I appreciated the privacy and security our floor had. Your card had to be used to get the elevator to the 14th floor and to get through the access door to the staterooms.

The private courtyard area included a pool, hot tub, saunas, and lots of comfortable seats to relax in. This was where we had breakfast most mornings. There was a continental breakfast there each morning.

However, the attention to detail, cleanliness and service were not good. The stateroom services were slow and incomplete. The glass on our balcony and spots of something on the glass bathroom doors were never cleaned. Other areas ( under TV, phone, etc.) had not been dusted in a while. No white glove service here!

When I asked the butler about dining in the room he showed me the standard room service menu. When questioned about the upgraded menu we were supposed to have, I was told we could order from the main dining room. Only one night did he bring us a menu and since I never got a piece of meat in the buffet or main dining room that wasn't tough or dried out, I didn't care to use it.

Plan on eating at the specialty restaurants ($) for better food. Chin chin and Moderno ($) were good. Skip the Hibachi Grill restaurant, it's to noisy with four grills in one small room and the food is not the quality you expect from a speciality restaurant. Also, the extra fee you pay to eat at the Hibachi Grill, doesn't include the additional tips they request for the cook and extra waiter.

The rest of the ship was fairly clean at a casual glance. What bothered me the most was the condition of the public restrooms. Every one I went into had a stall out of order. The sink countertops were always soaking wet. Paper towels littered the bathroom area. I realize this is the fault of my fellow shipmates, but it also showed that they did not get cleaned very often!

Like I said, first and last cruise with Norwegian. I will stick with Celebrity Cruise Line!!

Publication Date: 12/24/13