Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by say24hey: Second cruise on the Pearl

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Pearl Western Caribbean Cruises

Second cruise on the Pearl

Sail Date: December 2013

I just returned today from a 7 day cruise on the Pearl which left Miami with stops at NCL's private island, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I had been to all of the stops, except their private island before. I had also been on a 7-day cruise on the Pearl to Alaska in 2007. I was a bit disappointed with the entertainment, given your typical dance and singing group, the comedian-juggler, the 2nd city comedy and the tired piano player in the piano lounge. On the other hand, the "Oh What A Night" revue of the Four Seasons was top-rate, as was the piano bar singer Shane T. (from Australia).

We mostly ate dinner in and Garden Buffet area where the food was great....lots of options and plenty of food. The one night which we ate in the Main Dining room was slow and tedious. The service in the Main Dining room was poor at best. The Bingo hostess, Maria was quite rude and I had a bit of a to-do with her. She really has to realize the no matter what....the Guest is right.....and I More was.

The ports were typical of a Caribbean cruise, in Ocho Rios you are bombarded with the locals trying to get you in their taxis......we spent the afternoon at Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville, singing and swimming. The same in Cozumel at Margaritaville on the water. Grand Cayman was a disaster, since the lines for the tender boats to the island were backed up for quite some time. We gave up on even leaving the ship that day.

Overall, the trip was pretty good, but the problems need to be addressed by NCL. I will think twice about sailing on their fleet.......By the way disembarkment was a pleasure in Miami, I guess to make up for the long lines on the first morning embarkment. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Margaritaville was GREAT. The ship docks right at the port so there is no tender involved. Shopping in Cozumel is typical.....lots of T-shirt shops, silver and hand-made things to buy. The great art of "hondeling" is necessary to get the prices to a reasonable place.....a bag that the guy wanted $27 for was finally bought for $10.....and he still made a profit.

Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

The line for the tender was so long that we did not even leave the ship in Grand Caymen.

Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville was great. Leaving the immediate area of the port on your own is an adventure. There are many, many people trying to get you to take their taxi, making any travel on your own very uncomfortable......I hope the escorted tours were better.