Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Swansforever

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Swansforever
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Millennium
Member Name: Swansforever
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)
Destination: Asia
See More About: Celebrity Millennium Cruise Reviews | Asia Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Lovely ship, great itinerary.

I was quite apprehensive about this cruise after reading reviews of this ship, many of which were not that flattering. I really don't know what some people expect. The ML is a lovely ship and there is nothing wrong with it. It does show a bit of inevitable wear and tear but nothing that could possibly affect your enjoyment of the cruise. The ship is very clean with an efficient and friendly crew.

We had an Aqua class cabin which was well appointed, fairly spacious with lots of storage. It has a great shower with proper screens. Our stateroom attendant was friendly and efficient.

The ML is an extremely stable ship (or maybe we were lucky with the weather) and there was practically no rocking at all.

We ate all over the ship - Blu, the main dining room, Bistro on Five, Aqua Spa Cafe, Cafe al Bacio and even the buffet ( pretty good food but crowded and not really our dining venue of choice). We enjoyed all of them and most meals were very good, although we had a couple of awful dishes in Blu and switched to the main dining room which was much more fun anyway. The servers and waiters were attentive and friendly. Most of our breakfasts and lunches were at the Aqua Spa Cafe which was healthy food in a pleasant outdoor undercover setting.

I should also mention Cafe al Bacio. We went there numerous times - it is relaxing, pretty good coffee (although I prefer fresh milk to Longlife milk) and the service was always friendly, especially Sandra who was particularly friendly and polite. You could usually get a table, even though the occasional person did the wrong thing and hogged the table for long periods to read, use iPads or play cards without ordering anything.

There are plenty of things to do on board and we were not bored at all. Worth mentioning are Marshall and Nancy, the comedy improvisation team who are very talented and extremely funny. We went to all their shows.

The main pool area, in fact both pool areas, did seem pretty busy but we were not interested in using them anyway so it didn't affect us. It may have been quite difficult to get a sun lounge in the shade, although there seemed to be plenty available in the sun.

The entertainment was generally very good, with the ML singers and dancers excellent - in fact the best I have seen on any ship. I did feel the band was too loud on a couple of occasions, especially the brass.

Leo Ward, the magician and comedian was fantastic, an expert at magic with a great sense of humour. I saw both his shows, plus the Liars Club and he was very entertaining.

Will Martin was also wonderful. We have seen him before and he has a great voice.

The gym is not the largest one I have seen on a ship and it always seemed busy when I was there. I did the stretch and Abs classes most days which were pretty crowded but I always got a spot.

We liked the itinerary. The tendering in Airlie Beach and Cairns was OK when the big boats were used. The little one we were on in the middle of the thunderstorm in Airlie Beach was pretty scary. But overall the tendering was never a problem for us.

We did several ship's tours and they were all good.

I only have one small negative comment - the cost of the shuttles. I heard a lot of complaining from other cruisers about having to pay these. It might be better for Celebrity to include these costs in the overall cruise fare and not charge extra. People just did not like these charges.

But overall we liked the ML and the itinerary and had a great cruise. I would definitely recommend this ship.

Publication Date: 12/22/13