Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by realgearhead

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Review by realgearhead
Grandeur of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Member Name: realgearhead
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Baltimore
See More About: Grandeur of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

New Respect For Royal Carribean

This was our 30th cruise, We've cruised most of the popular Cruise lines ,NCL, Holland America, Cunard, Princess, Celebrity, and twice before with Royal Caribbean ,both times on the Explorer of the seas. We know what to expect from most Cruise lines . I had pretty much decided that I wasn't satisfied with R.C. after 2 cruises on the Explorer ,one out of Miami ,the other out of New Jersey.

We choose to try the Grandeur out of Baltimore ,to give R.C. another try. Traveling from Long Island to Baltimore was fairly easy ,Long Island Railroad to N.Y. Penn Station ,than Amtrak to Baltimore [also called Penn Station] Than took a cab to the Port.

Embarkation was pleasant ,as we had booked a Jr. suite we didn't have to wait on any long lines ,were on the ship within about 20 minutes ,very pleased.

The Grandeur is an older ship ,but still has plenty of class ,lots of marble ,very tastefully decorated. I'm Glad we had booked a suite way in the back ,because the 2nd day out we hit a serious storm ,Captain claimed 30+ foot waves. This lasted almost a full day of ,luckily both myself and my wife didn't get sea sick ,but many of the passengers did, this was our 2nd experience with really rough seas ,many of the crew members I spoke with claimed this was the worst they could remember.

Our suit was very nice ,plenty of storage ,decent sized balcony that had room for 2 lounge chairs ,and 2 regular chairs, some areas of the balcony was starting to shoe its age ,But I was still pleased.

Now the service and the quality of the food on the Grandeur was exceptional ,I would place it in the top 10% of all our cruises. Chops steak house had one of the best Filet Mignon that I ever had ,Maybe I was just lucky to get a great steak ,well worth the extra fee. Same goes for Giovannis the Italian Restaurant ,Had the Jumbo prawns that were the size of small lobster tails excellent .Most of the time we

ate breakfast in the Solarium

My favorite Bar was the Viking Crown on the 11th deck where they had 2 for one Martinis from 7 to 9 every night , The bar tenders did a great job on the Martinis.

The Gym was a little disappointing [small compared to newer ships] But if you visited on off hours you didn't have to wait long to get on a treadmill.

Overall we were very pleased with this ship, ,service ,ports, and would definitely cruise again on the Grandeur ,hopefully soon. This ship blows away the Explorer of the Seas .

Realgearhead , Biker ,Business owner ,Telling it like it is

P.S. I won the blackjack tournament ,made for a little excitement .

Publication Date: 12/22/13