Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Casino Player: Cruising on the Splendor

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Bahamas Cruises

Cruising on the Splendor

Sail Date: December 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We, my wife and I, decided to go on the Carnival Splendor this year. We have been on other Carnival ships and this was our first time on this ship. We got to the port via a Car Service since we live right here in NYC. The embarkation process was fast and easy. We had a stateroom with an extended balcony. Right on the back of the ship. That is a great place to be because the wind doesn't affect you as much as on the side of the deck. It rained the first few days of the cruise, but, weather is not the fault of the cruise line. There were lots of activities and there were times we just wanted to stay in the stateroom and rest. After all, we are on vacation. The service on this ship was very good. The stateroom steward was very good as he and his assistant were very attentitive to doing their jobs efficeintly. The service in the dining room was very good. My wife uses a walker and they helped her with obtaining a chair she could use, different than the one originally there, and helped her More in and out of the dining room. They did more than what one would have expected of them. Carnival Cruise Line seem to get the best people for the kitchen and they really know how to prepare food. Ordering room service they got some things mixed up though. We wanted a Hot Pastrami sandwhich and got one with cheese. I simply called and informed them I did not wish to have a Hot Pastrami sandwhich Parmesan for which the wrong cheese was used anyway. They brought it over. Room Service employee was sort of puzzeled at the sandwhich I showed him. The food on the ship was very good to excellent. The Cruise Director was Malcolm. He is a very pleasent person and did his job well. Some people don't like his saying yoo hoo a lot. Everyone has his own way and he is better than a lot of other Cruise Directors.

Ports-of-call: Port Canaveral: We took a ride on the Bananna River on a pontoon boat. We got to see several different types of birds, dolphins, trees, shrubs, of course the houses on the river front. It was very good and they took care of my wife's walker and made sure she had a seat near the front on the bus taking us to the Bananna River. It was a really good trip and we both enjoyed it. Got some really good pictures too. I recommend it if you haven't done it.

Nassau was our second port-of-call. We did not get off the ship at this port-of-call. It is a long walk off the ship to where the port shops are and my wife did not want to make the trip. Also, the last time we were here the military was patroling the streets. That should say something. Also, people going to the other side of the fence get people going right up to them saying, "braid your hair." It makes not for a pleasant experience. If you choose to go into town though, there are some good resturants.

Freeport was our third and last port-of-call. Grand Bahama Island is much more pleasant than New Providence Island. Here we got off the ship found our way to the taxi stand to take a group taxi to the Lucayan Market. Some of the people in the taxi were from right near where we live. Two other people had some interesting stories about their experience at the first two ports-of-call. Made for pleasant ride down. The taxi driver himself was very pleasant. We found some souvieners we wanted and purchased them. Also found what we wanted in some other stores and purchased those items too. We had breakfast on the ship and were going to walk around a bit more then go to Zorbas for lunch. But, the heat got to my wife so we went back to the ship. On the way back, at the taxi stand, I saw someone I knew from the ship. It turns out he lives where I used to live. He also plays in the Casino, same games I do, and we had a pleasant conversation on the way back to the ship.

The ride back home was very good. Rested some, particpated in some activities. Played bingo a few times on the cruise, read, wife wanted to do some knitting, played in the Casino, saw the shows. There were a lot of trivia events, they had different music entertainment in the lounges, and had some decent movies on the monitors in the staterooms.

The production shows on the ship is more to your personal tastes so I won't go into a review of them. You will either like them or you won't. The comedians were pretty good although some of them were having bad nights. This happens with comics from time to time. Doesn't neccesarily mean they are bad comics.

Disembarkation needs improvement. The Diamond and Platinuim members of the FIFP were told to go to the Pink Peal Room for disembarkation. These are people who have taken many cruises with the line before and are given priority status. First, the Pink Pearl was not large enough to fit all the people in. Second, no one told anyone anything. All we knew was when it came to disembarkation we didn't seem to have the same priority we had for the earlier part of the cruise.

Overall, it was a good cruise experience. Would recommend the Splendor to someone that hasn't been on it before. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>