Norwegian Breakaway Cruise Review by eastmountain: With handicap friend Dec 1st through 8th
Overall Member Rating
With handicap friend Dec 1st through 8th
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
We are platinum status with NCL. We have been many other cruise lines also. This is the first time we had a handicap person with us. She had to use a wheel chair and scooter.
I must say that NCL took care of the huge amount of handicap people on this cruise. There were many of the cruisers that were rude to her. The worst is that she would have to wait for many elevators because people would jump in front of her to get on and then there would not be room for her.
Tips for NCL to help the handicap.
1) NCL had an area for us to wait 45 minutes for one of their staff to bring a wheel chair. Then we waited in line 30+ minutes to check in. Being Platinum it usually takes us at the most 15 minutes to check in.
2) The staff person dumped us at a restaurant to eat lunch. I repeatedly told him her scooter was at her room and she can not walk that far. He told us he could not do anything about that.
3) Her room was not able to store her scooter at More night. She would have to call Guest Services and someone would come and take it somewhere for the night. You can not leave your scooter in the hall way. Then in the morning she would call guest services to bring the scooter back to her which sometimes took over an hour.
4) We had to wait for about an hour to disembark the ship. They were not waiting for wheelchairs but staff to take her downstairs and out.
Positive note: At all restaurants she was treated very well. They would find a close place for the scooter. At the buffets they would go and get her what she wanted to eat or take her plate to her table.
She did not get off the ship because she could not bring her scooter with her.
1) It seems like no matter which ship you get on the first night in the main dining area is always crazy and disappointing.
2) Main dining room is the Manhattan. We found this was a good place to eat lunch when it was open. At dinner it was way too loud. Try the other 2 smaller dining rooms: Taste and Savor. They are much smaller and quieter.
3) O'Sheehans is open 24 hours. Always wait to be seated. I love their chicken wings with no sauce. Good place to eat breakfast if you do not want the crowds of the Garden Cafe.
4) Good hamburgers, sandwiches, and fruit pies on The 16th floor at Uptown.
5) We went to 2 specialty restaurants. Moderno was our favorite. Wonderful service and outstanding food. We agreed that the Lamb and the Brazilian steak was fabulous. The salad bar was wonderful. Don't forget to try their fried bananas. La Bistro was very good also. It was a little noisy and service was very slow. It took us just under 3 hours to eat there. I was not impressed with the pork but the other two loved the beef dish. Skip the onion soup at all restaurants. If you are getting a free bottle of wine, I recommend the Zen Zen. We had two bottles of Zen Zen. It went very well with almost everything we ate. They do have other wines that were quite nice also.
6) Many items to us were very salty; but we do not use a lot of salt when we cook.
7) What I hated; Prime rib and lobster were served only in the Garden Cafe. Yep, you had to stand in very long line at the buffet to get it. They wash off the tables with the same dirty cloth table after table. You could still see grease on the table after they washed them.
Even though it cost $20 to go see Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy - go see it. It was fabulous. We did not want to eat our dinner because we did not want to miss any of the show. Go early get close up.
Floor on Fire was also very good if you like dancing.
Howling at the Moon we had seen on the Epic and loved it. We went to see Breakaway's show and left after 45 minutes. The 2 ladies were not that entertaining.
Second City is worth going to and some good laughs.
We did not go to Rock of Ages.
Most of the staff were very good and very nice.
Our Meet and Great was in a great room. Probably 50 people showed up. We had a great time with meet other CCs with a Bingo game. Fun prizes. None of the TOP officers or the Captain came. There were other officers there.
Ports we had been there before many times. The TV said the water temperature at the private island was 84 degrees. Less
Read more Norwegian Breakaway cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Breakaway Review >>
We had to cabin stewards. The first one, Rody, was sent to another ship when we got to Orlando. He was very friendly and got many things, that was broken in our room, fixed. the second one did a nice job but was not talkative. He might had to do Rody's rooms also because he he was always in the hallway cleaning someone's room. We did have to ask him to change our sheets once. We would come back and our room had not be straighten. He would get to it later on.
Will Cruise on the Ecstasy Aga...
Very smelly ship
The Disney Dream
Well worth the money for a sho...
Loved every minute
NCL Breakaway to Bermuda - 6/1...
Was a celebration of our 50th ...