Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Splendour of the Seas Cruise Review by FRANKLYBETTER: BAD

Splendour of the Seas 3
FRANKLYBETTER
Member Since 2013

Compare Prices on Splendour of the Seas Transatlantic Cruises

BAD

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

This is my eighth sailing on Royal Caribbean and the worst ever. Let me start by saying the cabin attendant, guest relations staff and wait staff were all excellent. The food was good but not great. Even though the ship was refurbished only a few years ago it still show its age but it was always clean and maintained.

Two months before the cruise we were told that this would be an "immersion" cruise, that is a cruise that included a majority of guests from a specific country (in this case Brazil) and we would be immersed in their culture. The immersion had the following effects on the rest of the passengers'

1. All prime time entertainment was aimed at the Brazilian audience. It would have been nice if they offered other prime time entertainment for other passengers. The disco was open at midnight.

2. Trying to get waitress service at the lounges was difficult for non-Brazilian passengers. We were a group of six and half of the time I had to go to the bar and More get the drinks myself.

3. Getting attention at the stores was equally as difficult.

4. This being a Brazilian "immersion" cruise, I guess the Brazilians were told that they could do as they pleased because they were constantly ignoring lines for service, taking up the entire width of aisles so that others would have to go around them or barge right through them. After 4 or 5 days I decided that barging through them or just standing still and letting them run into me made me feel better.

5. A lot of the crew members were Brazilian and spent most of their time chatting with their countrymen rather than providing service to passengers from other countries.

That being said, the tours we booked on-board were terrible. While they stopped where they said they would, the time at each stop was inadequate. We spent more time just riding around the streets of the city than seeing any sights.

While I usually like Royal Caribbean cruises (the Oasis was wonderful) I will stay away from older ships and I will NEVER take another "immersion" cruise Less

Published 12/18/13

Read more Splendour of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Splendour of the Seas Review >>

Compare Prices on Splendour of the Seas Transatlantic Cruises

Cabin review:

Cabin was a good size and well maintained.