Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by heidiblair

Norwegian Dawn
Member Name: heidiblair
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Tampa
See More About: Norwegian Dawn Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining Not Rated
        3-6 4.0
        10-12 4.0

Goodbye NCL!

This was our second cruise on NCL and our last. Embarkation out of Tampa was the worst I have ever seen and it was almost as bad during Disembarkation. We arrived at the cruise terminal at 12:30pm and did not get on the ship and to our cabin until 4:00pm. (The ship was suppose to sail at 4:00pm) There was never an explanation for the backup, help to find bathrooms or offers of snacks or food for those in line for hours. We did see one or two young men with small trays of cups of water for the hundreds in line. We have been on many many cruises and have never had this kind of experience boarding.There were 6 of us traveling together with 2 small children and we were all hungry and thirsty after waiting in the heat outside for 3 1/2 hours. We went to find food only to find that everything was closed because they were getting ready to have the muster station drill even though not all passengers were on the ship.

Our next problem was that we had booked two rooms that could sleep four with an obstructed view full size window(or so we were told). Both rooms had what I would call 2 slit windows with a mirror between them, not a full size window. The beds were the normal 2 twin beds you can make into 1 big bed and 1 wall bed that folded down from above for the 3rd bed. The 4th bed was a roll away that was under one of the twin beds. This meant that there were 3 beds lined up on the floor with no room to move because they never made up and put away the 4th bed for the whole cruise!

Upon boarding we never received or saw any information pertaining to that nights entertainment, dining or activities. We just happened to walk by the showroom and see a posting for that nights entertainment. We never had towels made into animals in our room, we never saw our cabin crew person or knew his name.

The meals in the main dining were disappointing. The morning buffet and lunch buffets were good. The first time we sailed with NCL (about 7 years ago) the sushi was all free but now you have to pay for it.

The next problem we had was trying to get our $75 room credit. We booked our cruise through a promotion that included a $75 room credit. When we checked in I made sure that those room credits were showing and was told that they were there. The last night of the cruise we checked our charges and found that one of the cabins did not show the $75 credit. I questioned this and was told they showed no credit and that there was no way the agent could see the credit when we checked in because they didn't have access to that screen (they pretty much called me a liar). I left that agent and later returned and spoke with a different agent who spoke with her manager and I was still told there was no credit and they would not give me one. All they were willing to do was let me make a courtesy call to Costco which I did. Costco is sending us a $75 dollar cash card.

When we returned to Tampa we decided to disembark with our own luggage thinking this would be faster. That was not to be! Getting off the ship was just as bad as getting on. A long slow line all the way through customs.

Publication Date: 12/15/13