Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Creative Cookie

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by Creative Cookie
Majesty of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Member Name: Creative Cookie
Cruise Date: December 2013
Destination: Bahamas

Had a great time, but the food wasn't great!

Just returned from my cruise with 21 other senior singles. We formed our own group and had lots of fun, but I was really surprised and appalled at the quality of the food. My first experience with the poor food was after boarding and going up to the Windjammer Cafe on Deck 11. It was undertstandably very crowded. Looked around and saw dried out meat dishes and cut up fruit that were obviously left-overs from the previous sailing. On two nights in the Moonlight Dining Room on the 3rd level, I had very good beef dishes which I thoroughly enjoyed The other nights had very poor meat selections and truly dreadful desserts. They were sponge-like creations which had the consistency and look of actual kitchen sponges! Not that I've ever eaten my kitchen sponges, but they must taste like the samples I had on the Majesty. I didn't even eat the main dinners two nights, they were that bad! That is not like me, I enjoy my food.

I knew the ship was about 22 years old, so didn't expect the latest and greatest innovations and felt the staterooms were adequate but dated looking. My cabin was on the 4th level, #4510, which is in the forward section. It was right above the anchor storage and when we pulled into a port in the early morning hours, the sound of the chains clanking, woke me. Think of Mr. Marley dragging his chains in Dickens "A Christmas Carol."

Since I had the cabin to myself, felt it was enough space for me and all my belongings. There were plenty of drawers, closet space and wooden hangers. The bathroom (or head) was small but fine for one person, with a small shower that was comfortable. I had read that a woman couldn't shave her legs in the shower, but didn't get that feeling. I had also read a comment that the shower water was incredibly hot, but if you first turn the center knob on, the temperature adjustment was on the right side of the knob area. It didn't lower the temperature much, but I am happy with a fairly hot shower. The bed was quite firm for my taste but I got used to it after the first night, the pillows were fine and it was set up with the two twin beds together making a king size bed placed under the window. I have previously sailed from the Owners Suite on down to an interior cabin, and found the full window in this cabin just fine.

Some of the evening entertainment in A Chorus Line Theater was shown twice in the evening, so seating was easier. I think one or two nights, the show was only at 8 pm, which made it quite crowded. I really enjoyed the entertainment, especially the comedian, David Orion. I saw two of his shows and laughed till I cried (well, nearly). I was very disappointed with the performer in Schooner's Piano Bar. He sang and played off-key much of the time.

Overall, I enjoyed the cruise but honestly think I will go back to sailing with Norwegian Cruise Lines in the future. Since I've been home, I heard other negative comments on the food and that was referring to the Allure of the Seas. The man said on a scale of 1-10, he would give the Allure a 2! So consider this if you are thinking of a Royal Caribbean ship.

Publication Date: 12/15/13