Carnival Legend Cruise Review by mavrington

Member Name: mavrington
Cruise Date: December 2013
Embarkation: Tampa
        3-6 6.0

Perfect sized ship with a great itinerary and average amenities.

Cruisers: Me (male, 40), my wife (age not disclosed), daughter 20, son 19, son 6.

First time on the Legend and I would say that I prefer this smaller Spirit class ship over the Dream class (we've cruised on the Dream and Breeze). The Breeze was more visually appealing, but the walking to get anywhere on those ship becomes annoying. I can't see myself ever on the Oasis of the Seas or the other behemoths from RCI. I never felt crowded and the lines were never long to wait in. There weren't many kids on board and half of the cruisers were age 50+ due to the early December departure date. My kids did find some others their age to hang out with.

Embarkation was simple and fast. We checked five bags and got them around 4:00pm.

Debarkation was slow and they didn't call some groups until after 10:30. There was no food available for breakfast anywhere on the ship when we got to the buffet at 9:30. When debarking DEFINITELY GET A PORTER in the Tampa customs area. They had only two customs agents and one was dedicated to the porter line. Countless people moved through with the porters while we stood with 100s in the other line. After 15 minutes we called a porter over and we through in a few minutes. He took our bags all the way to the parking garage. I tipped him $20, but for some reason he looked at it like it wasn't enough.

Entertainment:

Two comedians were hilarious, especially Happy Cole. One other guy was old and tired and as bored on stage as we were in the crowd. Singing and dancing shows aren't my thing and were unwatchable. My wife likes that stuff and she even decided to leave early. Magic show was ok, but nothing was very mindblowing.

The entertainment staff were all very good to deal with. We played a lot of trivia and they made it quite enjoyable. There was only one basketball knockout game the whole week and no other sports activities scheduled except for mini golf.

My 6-year-old loved Camp Carnival and he make lots of crafts and came back with little prizes every time.

We played in the casino a little.....too much cigarette smoke.

Room/Amenities: Normal Carnival balcony room in nice condition and well taken care of by the staff. Good shower pressure, but the water wasn't very hot even turned up all the way. Two chairs and a table on the small balcony. Pools were fine, but the hot tubs were often closed for seemingly no reason. The waterslide is very slow with inadequate water pressure. It, too, was shut down for no reason at times.

Food is subjective, but less impressive than other cruises. Some was very good, others not so good. Overall I would say it was average. Desserts better than usual, but entrees were average. Steaks had an odd taste I could not place. Seafood was mostly good. Sides were fine, but for some reason they like to slip onions into food where you wouldn't expect to find them. The kids ate a lot of pizza in the evenings. The deli sandwiches were very good, but the burgers and hot dogs were not good at all: too dry. I heard they are putting in a Guy's Burgers like on the Breeze when the Legend dry docks in February 2014.

To summarize, I would definitely recommend the cruise mainly for the itinerary, but secondarily because of the great staff and the nice size of the ship. We found it very quick and easy to get around and we did not waste time with walking to get places. A forward cabin puts you right near the comedy club, cafe (where trivia is), card room, sports bar, casino, spa, camp carnival, pool, and Follies (where the shows are). The other end of the ship has just the restaurants and night clubs.

Publication Date: 12/15/13