Enchantment of the Seas Cruise Review by kjwent: Great cruise

Great cruise

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

My husband and I have taken 18 cruises so far, 3 more booked for next year. We've done everything from Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Princess, Carnival, RCCL to some that are not around anymore. We've sailed in Tahiti, Mexico, Caribbean, Med, Panama Canal, Bahamas, Alaska and we're not done yet.

We take these short cruises in November as a break and to celebrate our anniversary. Where else can you get room, food and entertainment for this price? Lost money in their casino, went to the shows (OK -- some were better than others -- the juggler was a riot.)

Having said all that, I do not look for these "milk run" cruises to be the luxury cruises that some people seem to be seeking. These are usually older ships that run constantly. Party boats during Spring Break, quieter during off weeks (like the week we sailed -- before Thanksgiving week) I didn't detect any smells in our cabin. Having read the previous reviews I took air freshener just in case, but never needed it. More Thankfully. The crew was out during the day cleaning windows and varnishing the wood rails. I thought the ship looked great.

I have back issues and have trouble sleeping -- which we only resolved at home by buying one of those number beds. But I had no problem with the bed in our cabin. Our stateroom attendant, Sadat, was wonderful. We had brought wine onboard and he kept it iced. He called room service and had them bring us wine glasses and when I dropped one he got a replacement. (If I had just let it fall it would have been OK, but I tried to catch it and ended up smacking it on my nightstand.) I showed Sadat where I had dropped it and asked him to vacuum very carefully in that spot -- he told me later I had done a good job picking up the glass because he only found one small piece.

We chose an inside room -- which we normally don't do -- since we have been to the Bahamas a few times and knew we would see all there was to see up on deck anyway. I still prefer an outside room and kept teasing my husband to look outside and tell me how the weather was.

We thought the food was wonderful. My husband had prime rib and said it was some of the best he has tasted. I had salmon one night that was out of this world. No fishy taste or smell, firm -- excellent. We ate in My Fair Lady most nights, but we don't do the dress up night and chose to go to the more casual Windjammer that night. I tried the Mongolian stir-fry -- I should have heeded the warning that it would take some time because the orders were backed up -- but it was good when it finally came. In MFL we had EdMichael several times -- he was wonderful. I find the crew (stateroom, dining room and others) seem to have a lot of information they are required to throw at us. So in addition to their jobs -- made harder by the fact they have more tables (staterooms) that they are responsible for -- they now have to know everything else that's going on. They earn every nickel we give them.

Thanks to comments I read by Cruise Critic members we boarded and headed right to the Solarium instead of the Windjammer Café with everyone else. We snagged a table at the window overlooking Kennedy Space Center and got a great view of the rocket launch that was scheduled that day. The Park Café opened at noon and we had their much-praised roast beef sandwiches. No line, no crowds. We brought our suits in our carry on bags so we took advantage of the hot tubs while they were available. They were always packed with people for the rest of the cruise.

We had a great time at Coco Cay. We walked down the beach beyond the food stations and got lounge chairs under palms. They need to restrap most of these chairs! We had to move some around to get two that were not sagging to the ground. We brought our own masks and snorkels so we paddled around and saw a surprising number of fish for such a crowded beach. The food on shore was just burgers, dogs and ribs with some sides. Nothing to write home about. And the setup is sort of confusing. But I didn't see them run out of food and I thought everything I had tasted good. I heard someone complain that the ribs had no meat on them -- but that's why I didn't take them in the first place! C'mon people -- you could see the spare ribs were SPARE.

We didn't bother with Nassau. Been there, done that. I don't need any more straw bags so there's no sense subjecting myself to all the haranguing at the Market. We spent a wonderful day talking cruising with a young woman from California in the Solarium. She was traveling with family and had been on the Carnival cruise that had to be towed and thought she'd never cruise again -- but she was loving the Enchantment. We did too.

We did the walk off disembark -- off in no time, got the 1st shuttle back to our car, on the road in 8am!

It had been awhile since we cruised RCCL, but after Enchantment we immediately booked the Vision of the Seas (same class ship) out of Tampa for next November. Got in on their WOW sale, so in addition to qualifying for the military discount, we got a $100 OBC to boot!

Kathy Less