Norwegian Star Cruise Review by NicManthey: The food needs help

The food needs help

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Panama Canal & Central America
Embarkation: Los Angeles

While the ship has not been re-done in a while... I hear it is scheduled for a renovation in 2015. The ship was is pretty good shape. Minor wear and tear, but well cared for.

The staff most everywhere was fun and accommodating. Professional and Friendly. The ship was very clean.

Antonio Yang Yang our steward was amazing. Invisible but had always been there.
The furniture wasn't particularly attractive, but not offensive either. Suitable storage, except there is a large area of shelves that had no door on it. You had to stoop under your hanging clothes to reach this storage. Always ice in the bucket and clean classes. Bathroom was slightly larger than I would have expected with a nice vanity area.

The food... I had a problem with. I understand that a ship serving 3000+ people needs to make the menu palatable to all. However, do they need to make every single item that way? The Jerk chicken would have been tossed out in poverty stricken Jamaica for lack More of flavor. The pizza on the buffet is on pre made crusts suitable for grades 1-4. It was as if the spice cabinet was 15 years old and lost all flavor. The buffet has lettuce everyday. Why not add some spinach?

My suggestion is make a couple of dishes with some garlic. Some peppers, some flavor? Please!!!

The specialty restaurants were actually enjoyable. Streaks from Cagneys **** Lamb chops at Le Bistro **** The teppanyaki was 90% there on flavor. (Ask for double portion at the Teppanyaki for a man sized portion) The pizza in La Cucina is worthy of sale in a restaurant (unlike the buffet). The Carpaccio was generous and attractive.

Like most cruises I have been on, The Breads and deserts rocked! Only love in this category.

I really missed not having use of the steam room or sauna. On this ship there was a $60.00 fee to use these facilities for the 14 days. Since this is the first time I've encountered a fee for this, I felt it was nickle dimeing me. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>