Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by cruisefl756

Celebrity Summit
Member Name: cruisefl756
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: San Juan
See More About: Celebrity Summit Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms Not Rated

Horrible Customer Service

Celebrity Summit was the worst cruise I have been on because there was no customer service or care. The cruise line lost my luggage for seven days of my cruise and I got nothing from customer service other then they are sorry. Seven days with one pair of underwear!!! I Flew into Porto Rico and use the Cruise Line’s airport to ship transfer. My bags had multiple room tags securely attached to them. At the airport I meet the very unprepared staff and gave them my two bags, after a very long wait. I got onto the ship at around one in the afternoon. One of my two bags appeared at around three in the afternoon. The other bag did not show up. At eight pm, when they said all bags were to be delivered, I went to customer service and asked when my bag should arrive. The customer service person said that all the luggage was on board and that they would not leave port without all the luggage. She said please wait to 10 pm because they are running slow and she was very sorry. At 10 pm my luggage had still not arrived to my room so I went back to customer service. The customer service woman had me fill out a lost luggage form and that they would search the ship for my luggage. She said that my luggage should be at my room by morning and that they were very sorry. I then had to ask them what I am supposed to do in the meantime. She thought for a moment and then then they gave me a free toothbrush, toothpaste and two very cheap t-shirts.

The next morning my luggage had still had not arrived. I went back down to customer service and asked them where my luggage was. She said that it may be back in Porto Rico even though they said that everything would be brought on the night before. They were going to email Porto Rico and see if it was there (a phone call too hard to make?) and where going to research the ship again. She then went into a speech how luggage is not there responsibility and there problem and that they were very sorry but could not do anything else. Around noon, on day two I went back to customer service to see if the email back from Porto Rico had come in. The email had not come in yet. I asked, what else they can do and what their plan for this situation was other than a toothbrush and a free shirt. She look at me and said that there was no plan and that this never happens. Should there not be a plan in place for this problem? I had been in the same clothes for two days. She said they might be able to get something from the gift shop or from shore but this never happened and they never followed up. She did give me a couple of free laundry coupons, a free tux rental and she said come back later and I am so sorry. I left the service desk and then I realized that free laundry would not work because I only have one pair of pants and underwear. So I turned around and ask for a manager. I got the assistant manager and explained what had happened to me. She said all she could do is keep searching the boat and wait for the EMAIL from Porto Rico. I asked the assistant manager if there was a plan and anything else she could do. She said there was no plan and that there was nothing else they could do because luggage was not the responsibility of the cruise line and that your cruise contract limits what they can do. She said she was sorry and wish she could do more. That afternoon I bought a swimsuit myself so that I could be able to get my cloths washed. That evening I got a call from customer service that they had found my luggage. My luggage had ended up on the other cruise ship that was in port with us in Porto Rico. The RCC Jewel Of The Seas my luggage was on instead of the Celebrity Summit. They said they might be a chance that my luggage might be able to be transphered the next day but most likely it would not arrive to late on the seventh and last day of the cruise. Again, they said they were very sorry about the problem.

On next day, day three of the cruise, my luggage did not arrive. So I went back down to customer service to talk and got a different agent then I normally got. I explained to her the situation and she was visibly shocked about what happened and she had never heard such a thing happening. But she would get my usual agent to give me a call and that she was sorry. Latter on my usual customer service agent gave me a call and said for my troubles they would give me $200 dollars for my situation. I explained to her the situation and that I felt that the offer was insulating and a low ball offer. She said that is all she could do and that I could set up an appointment with the head manager that evening and she was sorry. I have been on other cruises and also talked to many people on the ship about lost luggage. Most people got $400 to $600 just for one day of lost luggage and they were offering only $200 for seven days of lost luggage. That night I went and meet the manager. She said that $200 was what the corporate manual allowed hereto give me and she was sorry she could not do any more. Also, they only care about the value of the luggage not the affect that it cause to you on the cruise. Such as the stress, in convince, time, and pain that loss luggage causes. I explained to the manager that I pay good money for a cruise and expect to have an excellent time but instead I had 7 defective days. If this where any other product I would get a refund of 7 days or the full purchase price. If the cruise is bad shouldn’t they not comp a new cruise or give you a refund of the days that the made bad? I also asked her if they cared about my opinion of the cruise line and the customer experience and she said that said that all they could give me was $200. I said I was going to post this online and she said she would email corporate and see what she could do and that she was sorry.

The next day, day four, my usual customer service rep gave me a call and said corporate raised the comp to $500 and that she was sorry. She also said that was the best they could do on board and would give me an official complaint and the number for corporate quest complaints. I said thank you and said if that is the best you can do I will take it and talk to the corporate guest relations.

On day seven, the last day of the trip, my luggage appeared at my room around two in the afternoon with no note or anything. I then had to place my luggage back in the hall at 6 pm for pickup to get off the boat. I had my luggage for only four hours on a seven day cruise with one pair of underwear.

Once I got home I called guest relations and they gave me the wrong number. I found the right number and called them. They said there was nothing else they could do and what happened on the boat is final and that he is sorry. I asked for a manager and was told that a manager will call you back in the next two days. Two days passed and I heard nothing so I called again and they said I was still on the wait list and that they should call in another two days and they are sorry. It has been over two more days and I still have not heard anything. I fell that if they wreck seven days of your cruise they should pay for seven days of your cruise or comp you a future cruise.

So in short do expect anything from the customer service on board Celebrity Summit or their on shore customer relations team. All they can do is what the manual says, tell you to come back later and tell you they are so sorry. They do not want to make the customer happy or creatively solve the problem. This is not luxury customer focused cruising as they advertise it to be.

Publication Date: 12/13/13