Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by Bacon0428

Member Name: Bacon0428
Cruise Date: November 2013
Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+

Everything was good until....

The Norovirus struck but I will circle back to that.

We flew in the morning of the cruise and since the airport is so close to the cruise terminal we jumped in a cab and were at the terminal in 15 minutes. Just a tip... It is far less expensive to take a cab vs. the transfers the cruise line offers. Check in was a breeze but we were a little early to board the ship so we grabbed a seat and began boarding at about 11:30 in the morning. Had lunch in the Windjammer and was off to explore the ship a bit. We had sailed on Allure of the Seas about 18 months earlier and to be honest the ships are pretty much identical with the exception of a hot dog stand on the boardwalk (Allure has it while Oasis does not.)

I have been on many cruises and have often heard the expression that people that take cruises are newlyweds or nearly dead. In this case, the scales were heavily tilted to the nearly dead category. We are 37 and 38 respectively so we fit into neither category and were certainly a minority. The older population is not normally something that bothers me but since the popularity of the motorized scooter has exploded recently it is a bit of a problem. There are 24 passenger elevators on the ship and that seems like quite a bit but they are only located in 2 spots on the ship so elevator usage is a premium. Once you dive out of the way of these motorized terrors and add the size of these scooters in the elevators you would often wait for 2 or 3 elevators just to find space.

Usually after 5 years of service the ships start to show their age but Oasis is in excellent shape! The cabin was neat and fully functional. When we sailed on Allure we had a cabin overlooking the boardwalk but decided to go with the balcony cabin overlooking the ocean and definitely prefer the ocean view. The bed itself was a bit worn and uncomfortable but manageable.

I have read some reviews that people have found the quality of the food in the dining rooms has deteriorated in recent years but I found everything delicious! This is probably the only cruise I have ever taken where I order a piece of meat as medium and it actually arrives to the table as medium. We had my time dining but had the option to be seated with the same wait staff on several occasions. Francis and Dennis were exceptional! We did run into one problem with the reservations. We made our dinner reservations online weeks in advance but were dismayed when we arrived for dinner one night and found no table available. It is a little frustrating that we make reservations well in advance yet those that do not have reservations were seated ahead of us. We waited and were finally seated but the next night the head waiter arrived at our table with a bottle of champagne to apologize for the problem. We did eat at both Giovanni’s and Chops Grill and found the experience absolutely excellent. The food and service was well worth the cover charge.

Our cabin steward was excellent! The mark of a good cabin steward is one that is pretty much invisible. We would leave the cabinat different times every day and would return to find the cabin in pristine condition. He was more than accomodating for special request. He was excellent!

We have been on this itinerary several times so we decided to just stay onboard during the stop in Nassau. The only thing in Nassau worth seeing is Atlantis and we were only there until 2:00 so it was not worth getting off the ship. In St Thomas we took a ship sponsored excursion and we did the BOSS underwater adventure. We have done this on previous trips to St. Thomas and will do it again if we ever get back. It’s such a great time! I highly recommend this. When we arrived in St. Marteen the weather appeared a bit questionable but we decided to go into town to wander a bit before our “Afternoon Beach Break” excursion. We went back to the ship, changed for our excursion and when we went outside to meet the tour it was showering a bit but stopped. Black clouds had rolled in. Realistically the cruise line should have cancelled the tour but since they are motivated for the most part by money only they continued with the tour. We spent 30 minutes on a bus to the beach only to arrive and find our lounge chairs just in time for the skies to open up. We decided to have lunch to avoid the rain. We went to beach side restaurant and I ordered a salad with grilled chicken and my wife had a cheeseburger with fries and a bottle of water. We nearly fell over when we got the bill for nearly $90.00 Between the cost of the tour and lunch this ended up being an expensive waste of a rainy afternoon.

Late Thursday afternoon my wife began feeling sick and it only got worse. First thing in the morning we were in the infirmary and they gave us some pills and sent us on our way. Pills did not work and she just got sicker. 3 hours later we were back in the infirmary for IV fluids and blood work. 3 hours after that we were back in the infirmary for more IV fluids and medications after my wife’s blood pressure dropped quite a bit. The medical staff was very pleasant and professional but the illness was absolutely horrible. We have taken over a dozen cruises and my wife has been inflicted with the Norovirus twice, both times on Royal Caribbean cruises. I think we are done with cruising for quite some time. I encourage everyone who reads this review to practice proper sanitary measures. Simply wash your hands!!!!! It is the easiest way to prevent these illness’ from happening. It seems every time I used a public restroom on the ship at least ½ half the men left the restroom without washing their hands.

Publication Date: 12/13/13