Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by LittleRockRob

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by LittleRockRob
Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Eclipse
Member Name: LittleRockRob
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Transatlantic
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Excellent Value, Excellent Service, Teriffic on-board opportunities, P

Like most Transatlantic you get a long cruise for a bargain price. The service throughout the ship was excellent from Stateroom (Janette) to Dining room to wine stewards. It was clear that passenger comfort and safety were of prime importance. The ship had mainly British passengers on this trip from Southampton to Ft. Lauderdale, and there was a problem with US Immigration that left many standing in line for hours. It appeared to be the fault of US CBP, not the cruise line, there were 5 other ships in port trying to clear at that same time.

Initial passage was a little rough, but hey, we're talking the Atlantic, not Lake Caribbean.

The Celebrity life lectures were excellent, especially Dr. Reill the historian. Another highlight was the West Side Strings trio that played daily in the wine bar. Other passengers I visited with mentioned the excellent quality of the entertainers in the small venue bars and lounges. The large scale shows ranged from excellent to so-so, but all I saw were Very good to Excellent.

The passenger Choir was a huge hit with everyone. The passenger Library was the best of any ship I have been on, excellent selections and recent titles. As the passengers on this trip were mostly senior to elderly Brits, there was a lot of reading going on.

I like Celebrity because there are so many things to do other than DRINK, PARTY, and puke like another line I have been on.

One excellent tip is getting from London to Southampton take a tour bus that picks you up at your hotel, stops at Stonehenge and drops you off right at the pier, super easy and you don't have to wrestle your bags.

Embarkation and disembarkation were smooth, quick and easy. I wish we had made a port call in the Azores, we sailed right through there. St. Martin/Snt. Maartin was OK, you can skip Nassau. I guess St. Thomas was required for the above mentioned boarder clearance.

I sailed on Celebrity Zenith in 1997 and the food in the MDR was Superb, I sailed on Solstice in May of 2013 and now on Eclipse in Nov 2103 and the quality is lacking. Let me stress Service in MDR was excellent, the food presentation and appearance were also excellent, what was lacking was flavor.

I don't know if this was an effort to drive passengers into the specialty restaurants at $35 extra per person, or not. The flavors and quality in the buffet (Oceanside Café) were better than the MDR, so I ate there two nights. The best food I have had recently on a cruise line was Disney (Dec 2012).

Come on Celebrity get back to where you were.

Publication Date: 12/12/13