Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by jbackus8746

Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: jbackus8746
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Rocky start but improved

My wife and I boarded the Gem to celebrate our 41anniversery,her retirement and my second year of remission from cancer.

It was a rocky day or two on the gem due to a virus on board from the last cruise. The wait staff was overworked and doing the best the could. They had to add staff from the ding room. As a result of no passenger self service at the buffet. The staff added to the buffet was drawn to the buffet to serve the food. That left the two main restaurants to be understaff, they really did the best they could.

My wife and I accepted this and had a great time. we did not leave the ship. We both joined the spa so we would not a

Have to deal with kids in the pool or hot tubes on the main deck. The spa is a quiet retreat from the main pool. Also has wonderful view of the forward section and the sea.

The menu was fine but it was similar each night at the Ocean Pacific. We ate at the steak place paying 30 dollars each, they have a new policy they charge 10 more dollars if you wish a second entree. My steak was very good, but my wife order of lobster and shrimp was a major disappointment. The lobster tail was very small, the shrimp was hidden in pasta. There were only two!

Cabin steward was great!