Disney Fantasy Cruise Review by Odile1

Disney Fantasy
Member Name: Odile1
Cruise Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
See More About: Disney Fantasy Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals

Great ship but nickel and dimes!

The last time we took a "cruise" was in 1970, my husband had a scholarship that was paying for the crossing between Rotterdam and New York , those days there was still an economy and first class, we were in the economy, two bunks bed, metal lockers at water level. Yep, those were the days.

This cruise was with the whole family, total eleven people , 6 adults, 5 grandchildren from 17 to 7. We were picking up the bill including on the ship expense and excursions.

The day of embarkation, we were pleasantly surprised , we were schedule to check in at 12:15 by 1:30, we were checked in, had lunch and minutes from being in our cabins, no luggage but it is still pretty impressive.

Overall, the ship is very impressive, from the bathroom, separate room for the toilet, great flow of water , not skipping on toiletries to the deck door moving up slightly when closing it to really seal the room, the rooms was roomy, we all had the deluxe verandah room.

We loved Puri our stateroom host, so efficient, we would leave for breakfast and the room would be done, always asking how we slept, how was our day going, helping me with the laundry, he was the best, wish I could have take him home with me, he was assigned to the two other rooms, one with four and one with five people, they also were impressed , our room was easy to do, theirs was not, but it was still done in a timely manner.

I quite like the restaurant rotation, we knew every night where we were going , our waiters were following us, Tom and Lenworth were so fine, great with the kids, efficient, polite, helpful, personal , they did not sound fake, even so, I know they must be sick of being nice, when the adults went to Remy, the adults only restaurant, they reassured us they would take care of them, all day long when we saw them for breakfast or lunch at the Cabanas, they always acknowledged us, said hi, asked us how our day was going, they were first class.

The personnel on the ship is beyond nice, even the personnel who continuously clean , paint, wash the ship always smiled and said hello, truly for us the best thing about fantasy was the personnel.

The food overall was good, not fabulous, I really appreciated the small portions, the little disinfectant wipes they were handing out at the entrance of the restaurant and how they tried to minimize the throwing away food.

We ate at Remy, for 6 , 900$ later, quite fancy, they recreated the restaurant in Ratatouille , great food, a little stuffy but worth the experience, the chef came and talked to us numerous timed during the meal. We all felt very special.

The excursions were good to okay, the weather did not helped, but overall the whole family thought Mexico was a dump and were happy to leave it behind , not likely to return there .

Castaway cays island was fun, weather was cool around 72 but no rain, they tried hard to make everything a good experience.

The clubs for the kids were under utilized to my surprise , our kids stayed with us most of the time.

The first show we saw was so bad, the family did not go the to rest of them, even so the show Believe was quite good, we all enjoyed tremendously the ventriloquist , it was super.

The characters were available very often during the cruise and anyone that wanted to take pictures with them , I think , got their fill.

The only thing for my husband and I was the noise level at the pool side, but in reality, we knew it was a Disny cruise, and there was always area for adults only where it was quiet.

My only pet peeve was the photography, at the end of the trip you can pick pictures , 10, for 149$, either 10 prints or a DVD, of course we wanted the DVD, unfortunately it was not allowed because they go by cabin, even so some pictures were taken under my card , they put some in my daughter folder, even after talking to the personnel responsible and guest services, we were forced to get the prints , we kept saying, since everything is under one bill we should have been able to get the DVD, I thought it was really trying to get every possible dime out of us, and after spending 25,000$ we felt , we should be able to get the DVD.

That is really the only negative things , the boat is fantastic, the personnel unbelievably professional, they work hard and long hours.

It was a great experience

Publication Date: 12/11/13