Zaandam Cruise Review by leeds cruiser: not bad at all

not bad at all

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: South America
Embarkation: Buenos Aires

Very pleasant ship, nicely understated and attracting an older demographic, so no unruly kids or noise from drunken passengers.

Cabin, a vista suite, nicely furnished good size balcony.

All in all a good first impression after a fairly chaotic embarkation process in Buenos Aries.

Straight to lunch on day one and this is where the first of several culinary disappointments happened.

If food is cooked directly for you or it is something which is designed to be eaten cold then the results are just fine.

They do, however, seem incapable of keeping food hot for long periods without allowing it to dry out or in some cases keeping food hot at all. Even tepid would have been an improvement on occasions.

I mentioned this to both the 1st Executive Chef and his second in command. The second in command complaining that giving the serving staff instructions was difficult and that he may lose his job-(you couldn’t make it up!)

I More really wanted to know why no one had the common sense to circulate food in its containers to maintain an even temperature and to avoid the top bit from drying out.

I got nowhere. I don’t like cold food. I don’t like dry food so I avoided quite a lot of what they produced. What was left over wasn’t bad at all. On my birthday, which was also Thanksgiving Day, we ate in the Pinnacle which was beyond excellent. Clearly the knowledge is on the ship if anybody could be bothered.

Ports of call were fascinating special mention should be made of the guy who provided explanatory narration as we sailed along, sailing round Cape Horn, seeing penguins dolphins and glaciers. all made it worthwhile and I am glad we went Less

Published 12/10/13

Read more Zaandam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Zaandam Review >>

Compare Prices on Zaandam South America Cruises

Cabin review:

Very pleasant cabin , well furnished

leeds cruiser
Member Since 2009
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X