Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by akleinga: Another trip on the Epic

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Another trip on the Epic

Sail Date: November 2013

My wife and I are in our 50's and have been on over 30 cruises with and without our 2 children who are now both almost in their 20's.

We cruised on the Epic the first year it was sailing out of Miami for a back to back cruise over xmas and new years. This time this cruise was only for 1 week and just my wife and I.

We arrived at the port around 1 pm and headed for the Casino at Seas line that had only 2 people in front of us, so we were on board quickly which was nice. We went straight to O'sheehans for lunch since we knew it would be less busy than the buffet and it was nice getting to sit down right away. I noticed the order of wings was 1/2 the size it was a few years ago(only 4 pieces), so the next time we went there we had a double order

Dinners - The first night we had our dinner in Taste and only waited 10 minutes, the rest of the time we ate at the specialty restaurants. We ate at Cagneys twice, Le Bistro, Moderno, and La Cucina. We enjoyed all the More specialty restaurants, Cagneys and moderno my favorites, it was odd that Cagenys charged us an additional $10 above the $30 charge for having a sea bass entree as well as a steak. That did not happen at any of the other pay restaurants.

Breakfast we always did the buffet, I always get cook to order omelets and there are always plenty of chefs cooking the omelets in the morning.

Overall the regular food was just average and the pay restaurants above ship. average

Shows - We went to a bunch of shows. Howl at the Moon is always fun.

Legends in Concert was the best show this trip Steve Tyler was definitely the best, also there was Katy Perry and Elvis.

Blue Man Group is always fun and these guys were very good. we played ping pong and spent time in the sun.

It was odd to see that drinks by pool now come in these very small clear plastic solo cups, maybe they are 12 oz. I do not remember such small cups last time.

Excursions - We did our own thing at all the ports St. Maartin, St. Thomas and Nassau. It is very easy to arrange your own trips at these ports, plenty of people willing to take you anywhere.

Inside Cabin was fine for us. Our room steward was new and frequently forgot things, one night he did not even make up our room at all. The service around the ship in general was good, but not the service you get on celebrity or royal Caribbean

I was in the casino everyday, for the most part the casino staff is pretty good, but the pit bosses spend more time staring at the scheduling screen that checking and changing the bets placed by the casino patrons. Given this trip I was on is somewhat dependent on the consistency of the bets I placed, I was not happy with the neglect.

I was on the internet everyday and was happy to see that although it was still slow, it was definitely faster than I remember it was

Disembarkation was crazy. So many people carried their own luggage it was difficult getting off the ship. The carry off is for people who are able to do it. I felt bad for the folks who appeared to be in the mid to late 60's lugging their lugagge off the ship. I do not understand why they choose that method.

But we both had a wonderful time although we will try one of the newer ships next time. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>