Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by dlbaqua: Not as Good as Expected

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Not as Good as Expected

Sail Date: November 2013
Embarkation: Galveston

It's been 3 years since my last Carnival cruise and things have changed. First off, I had a great time, overall. I always enjoy cruising and nothing horrible happened.

The two areas that I was mildly disappointed by are the activities and the main dinning room.

The weather was cold and cloudy so there wasn't much going on outdoors, unfortunately, there was next to nothing going on indoors either. A lot of buying seminar type things in the spa and the shops and a few bean bag toss type things but that was pretty much it during the day. At night there were musical shows & comedy shows on only 2 of the 4 nights. The other two nights there were audience game show type activities. This is a change from prior cruises where there was a musical every night. The dj instead of live band on the deck didn't bother me, it was fun watching people dance. On the Captain's formal night the band and singer by the casino were very, very good.

We had anytime dining and on More the first night it took 2 1/2 hours to get through dinner, with lots of 20 minute breaks between courses. The staff was slow to fill drinks or even come by the table. The next night we had a different staff and it was much better. Unfortunately the 3rd night back to the same staff and same long wait. The food was also hit or miss. The first night, Thanksgiving night was not great. The next night the food was really good, third night it was just ok. The fourth night we ate in the buffet because the lunch in the buffet that day was delicious. Unfortunately, the food choices that night were again, not good. I ended up with a great tuna sandwich from the deli instead.

The room steward was great! Camp Carnival was good. Faster to the Fun was the best thing I've ever experienced. We were off the ship by 8:35 am.

Overall, not a bad cruise, just a little less than expected. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Culinary Tour

Great excursion, Isis was very informative. Even though we walked through some of the not great areas of town, I always felt safe. Got a lot of food and a lot of information about Cozumel. Highly recommend this to those who don't want to go to the beach.