Golden Princess Cruise Review by LB Cruiser: Brief Baja Cruise

Brief Baja Cruise

Sail Date: November 2013
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I just returned from a three- night Baja cruise on the Golden Princess. It was my first time back on Princess in many years and while the cruise was nice it was not great.

There were six in our cruising group this time. We were all local so we drove to the port in San Pedro and parked our cars during the cruise ($12.00 a day).

We arrived at the terminal around 11:00 a.m., gave our bags to the porter and made our way inside. Check in was a breeze! No lines and friendly people all around the place to guide us each step of the way. After waiting a few minutes upstairs we made our way to the ship.

The Ship

The Golden Princess is a beautiful ship! She is on the older side but she is spacious, well taken care of and comfortable. We took a walk around and got to see our home for the next few days. We loved the pool areas; we really liked the terrace pool at the stern. There are bars and lounges all over the ship. More Our favorite was the martini bar! The waiters are so much fun! The dinning rooms on the ship are comfortable as well. We loved that the international café was open 24/7! It was the perfect place to grab a quick bite any time of the day or night. The buffet by the pool was nice but the serving area was cramped and crowded. On a ship with so much space why cram so many guests in such a small confined space for the buffet? Our cabin, an outside obstructed view on the Emerald deck was fine except for the very hard mattress on the bed.

On the Golden Princess service was hit and miss at best. While we loved the bar staff whom provided outstanding service I was not impressed with the dinning staff or our room steward. Service in anytime dinning room was slow and unimpressive. The same could be said for our dinner in the Crown Steakhouse. As for the room steward two of our requests did not get taken care of. After the first night on an uncomfortable mattress I asked for egg crate. We also requested a fruit basket for our room neither request was taken care of by the room steward. I inquired at the guest services desk about both and I was told that it would be taken care of. When we returned to our room that night we had an egg crate on the bed but still no fruit basket. For the most part the staff seemed to be just going through the motions. I am disappointed in Princess for the lackluster service.

The last morning of the cruise we had a quick breakfast at the international café and we were off the ship by 10 a.m.

The Golden Princess offered a nice quick getaway but the service on Princess did not impress. Less

Published 12/08/13

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Mexican Riviera Cruises

Cabin review:

Cabin was fine except for the very hard mattress on the bed.

LB Cruiser
Member Since 2009
42 Forum Posts
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X